Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#1202781  by Allan

"When pigs fly"

Like Maxwell (the pig on the Geico commercials) I can't believe you actually said that
 #1203119  by JoshKarpoff

The MTA wanted to extend the elevated tracks the N currently runs on out to Laguardia, to save money.
The community fiercely objected, citing property values and quality of life concerns.
The MTA considers tunneling too expensive for the extension to be fiscally palatable in Albany.
Local politicians in Queens want a spur off the #7 train instead.
The MTA considers a spur off the #7 would create significant complications for the logistics of operating the existing line and thus impractical.
Thus, an impasse.
 #1203166  by jlr3266

We had PA reps at the ESA offices a looooong time ago to show them the possibilities of tunneling. They hated the elevated concept before the community did.
 #1203510  by railfan365

JoshKarpoff wrote:The MTA wanted to extend the elevated tracks the N currently runs on out to Laguardia, to save money.
The community fiercely objected, citing property values and quality of life concerns.
The MTA considers tunneling too expensive for the extension to be fiscally palatable in Albany.
Local politicians in Queens want a spur off the #7 train instead.
The MTA considers a spur off the #7 would create significant complications for the logistics of operating the existing line and thus impractical.
Thus, an impasse.
If they value their quality of life so much, then why are they against less traffic and easier travel to the airport?
 #1203617  by Fan Railer

The Airtrain network from JFK to Jamaica was supposed to originally go up to and connect with La Guardia as well, but that, as if needed to be said, fell through as well.
 #1204509  by lirr42

In my opinion, a 4.25 mile AirTrain LGA from the LaGuardia terminals to the Flushing Main Street LIRR/NYCT station would be the best bet for this problem. Sending the train down the middle of the Grand Central Parkway on viaducts (similar to how the JFK Airtrain runs down the Van Wyck) then through the already develeoped Flushing Meadows park to Flushing would be the most painless option.

At Flushing passengers can opt for the 20 minute ride on the LIRR to either NYP or GCT, the (7) subway, or a whole slue of Queens and Nassau County bus routes.
 #1204880  by FRN9

I agree. It could later be extended to Jamaica via the Van Wyck (where the GCP and Van Wyck cross). Then passengers would be able to travel from JFK to LGA. They could even have route that would travel from JFK, stop at Jamaica and then leave towards LGA giving passengers a single seat ride from JFK to LGA. This would also give Long Island folks a chance to take the train to both LGA and to see the Mets. Its a total of 7.7 miles and the maintenance facilities for the trains are already built. It would just require a bit of additional rolling stock.

Actually, I just saw that many have--obviously--had the idea before me... http://www.airliners.net/aviation-forum ... n/1869648/
 #1204896  by Backshophoss

An "Air-train" extension to LGA from Jamaica would get overloaded with Mets fans and the US Open tennis fans
to the point of maintaning a larger then needed fleet to cover the crush loads,and a "yard" to store them.
Add to that the stops at Citi Field and USTA facilty.
TOO much $$$$ needed to build it,MTA Capital Construction is already MAXXED out for a while!
 #1205049  by FRN9

I was thinking it was more of a Port Authority expense (funded by surcharge on airport passengers) and it also could be pushed off to the stadium, since they will also benefit. I don't think it would require that much extra stock for the Mets fans. Many people will still drive.
 #1205217  by DogBert

Reopen the LIRR rockaway beach branch, build a connection over the JFK. Done. one seat ride from penn or (soon) gct.

Instead they're going to replace the old ROW with 'queensway' - a rail trail that a dozen or two people want.

N extension will never happen. The N is standing room only by the time it leaves astoria blvd during morning rush. It doesn't have capacity for more riders.

If the city/pa/mta had brains they would have built a spur off 63rd st. tunnel, up 21st street, and hook around into LGA via 20th ave. A stop or 2 along 21st would support all the high rises along the water that they're hell bent on building. (eh, maybe those people can ride the q100 ltd instead :) )
 #1313181  by millerm277

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/01/21/nyreg ... rport.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.wsj.com/articles/gov-andrew- ... 1421779531" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Summary:

Cumono held a conference to propose an AirTrain running down the Grand Central Parkway to the 7/LIRR at Willets Point. Cost estimated at $450m, timetable TBD but within 5 years. Paid for at least in part with some of the $5b in settlements from the banks.
 #1313280  by djlong

I saw a reference to that on The Transpor Politic site:

http://www.thetransportpolitic.com/2015 ... -any-time/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Fair use quote:
As proposed, the project would do next to nothing to improve access to the airport. In fact, compared to existing transit services, most riders using the AirTrain would spend more time traveling to LaGuardia than they do now.

There is no hope that this AirTrain will “solve” the access to LaGuardia problem