Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#1280595  by CLamb

For many years I have pondered what made the pockmarks on the columns in the Grove St. station. Whatever did it required a large amount of force and must've been done after the columns were build because they are on the rivets also. I have two theories but neither one makes complete sense. One is that they are from an out of control pneumatic riveter during the original construction. The other is that someone was testing the steel. Anyone know the real cause?
1S.jpg
1S.jpg (49.79 KiB) Viewed 2324 times
 #1280774  by Terry Kennedy

CLamb wrote:For many years I have pondered what made the pockmarks on the columns in the Grove St. station. Whatever did it required a large amount of force and must've been done after the columns were build because they are on the rivets also. I have two theories but neither one makes complete sense. One is that they are from an out of control pneumatic riveter during the original construction. The other is that someone was testing the steel. Anyone know the real cause?
The Grove St. columns were originally covered in concrete. When the Port Authority renovated the station, they removed the existing trim with jackhammers and applied the glazed brick finish you see now, along with exposing the tops of the columns. Here is what it originally looked like (click on the pic for larger version):