Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#147742  by NJTRailfan

I know that the NYC subway has the usual 8 cars with the exception of the 7 line (During the Red bird days it was 11 or 12 cars long) and the S which is 3 or 4 cars long.

But how many cars long is the Paris Metro, LA's Red Line Subway and the DC Metro. Somone told me that DC and LA are usually 6-8 cars long max. I thought they were 10-12 cars long like NYC. I know Boston is around 8-10 cars. But also what about Itlay's Subway along with the Japaneese Subway?

I think Chicago durign rush hour it's 6 or 8 cars long but during slower times of the day it's only 4 maybe even 2.

During the day after the Bombings of the London's Tube the NY Times reoprted that the subways there are sually 6-8 cars long. I thought they were longer then that.

#147749  by AznSumtinSumtin

Boston Red Line is 4 during non rush hour and 6 during rush hour and sometimes non rush hour too. Blue Line is 4 at all times of the day. Orange Line is 6 at all times of the day. All train lengths are even because cars operate in married pairs. Before 1987 4 was the maximum on the Orange line.

In Italy the maximum on the M1 is 6. Not sure about the other lines.

#147778  by arrow

I believe Washington, DC has 6 car trains.

And don't forget that some of the trains on NYCTA use the 75' cars so they have less cars on the train.

#147953  by UpperHarlemLine4ever

The IRT lines except for the #7 which runs with 11 cars, have 10 car length trains.
 #148078  by Frank

NJTRailfan wrote:I know that the NYC subway has the usual 8 cars with the exception of the 7 line (During the Red bird days it was 11 or 12 cars long) and the S which is 3 or 4 cars long.
A B division NY Subway is usually 10 60ft cars long and 8 75Ft cars long except the trains on the J, M, Z and C trains which are 8 60ft cars long. A train on the A division is usually 10 51ft cars long. The Flushing line is unique with 11 51ft cars long. The Rockaway Park shuttle is 4 75ft cars long. The Franklin Ave. Shuttle is 2 75ft cars long, while two of the three 42nd St. shuttle trains are 3 51ft cars long, except for one of them which is 4 51ft cars long.
 #149540  by Mdlbigcat

At SEPTA:
Broad St Line trains are 5 cars on the Local and Express, 2 cars on the Ridge Spur.

Market-Frankford Line trains are usually 6 cars at all times, but on some winter weekends you may see 4 car trains.

PATCO [Lindenwold Line]:
All rush hour trains are 6 cars. All off peak trains are 2 cars.
Trains will go to 4 or 6 cars depending on special events on weekends.

#149562  by chuchubob

PATCO also runs some four car trains during the transition between peak and off-peak.

#149959  by orangeline

In Chicago the Yellow Line (Skokie Swift) is 2 cars at all times. On weekdays, the Purple line (Evanston), Brown line (Ravenswood) and both Green line branches (East 63rd and 63rd/Ashland, both returning to Lake/Harlem) are 6 cars long during rush hours and all run 4 cars (except Brown) between rush hours, the Orange line (Midway) is 8 cars during rush hours and 4 cars other times and the Blue (Forest Park and Cermak branches, returning to O'Hare) and Red (Howard - 95th) lines are 8 cars at all times. On weekends and during early AM/late PM, train lengths are either 2, 4, or 6 cars depending on line. Sometimes the Red line runs 8 cars on weekends during baseball season as it serves both Comiskey Park on the South side (US Cellular? BAH!) and Wrigley Field on the North side of the city.
 #150002  by F40

Frank wrote:
NJTRailfan wrote:I know that the NYC subway has the usual 8 cars with the exception of the 7 line (During the Red bird days it was 11 or 12 cars long) and the S which is 3 or 4 cars long.
A B division NY Subway is usually 10 60ft cars long and 8 75Ft cars long except the trains on the J, M, Z and C trains which are 8 60ft cars long. A train on the A division is usually 10 51ft cars long. The Flushing line is unique with 11 51ft cars long. The Rockaway Park shuttle is 4 75ft cars long. The Franklin Ave. Shuttle is 2 75ft cars long, while two of the three 42nd St. shuttle trains are 3 51ft cars long, except for one of them which is 4 51ft cars long.
Also, keep in mind that the G train runs 4 R46 (75') cars.

#187681  by Carmine

If were on the subject of subway lengths, here are the numbers at Montreal. Orange and Green Line are always 9 cars. Yellow Line is 6. And the Blue line is 3 cars off-peak, and 6 cars during rush hour.

Each car is about 54 feet in length.
Last edited by Carmine on Tue Nov 22, 2005 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

#188007  by Robert Paniagua

And in Toronto's Toronto Transit Commission subways, they run 6-car trains 75 feet long, except for the Scarborough SRT, which runs 4 cars at 40 feet in length.

#188297  by (5) Bronx-Lex Av Exp

chuchubob wrote:PATCO also runs some four car trains during the transition between peak and off-peak.
PATCO Uses 4 cars just after the main rush hour, then when rush hour is completly over they switch to 2 cars. And on weekends its 2 cars all times. And this info is from a t/o i know that works on PATCO.

#188571  by Mdlbigcat

(5) Bronx-Lex Av Exp wrote:
chuchubob wrote:PATCO also runs some four car trains during the transition between peak and off-peak.
PATCO Uses 4 cars just after the main rush hour, then when rush hour is completly over they switch to 2 cars. And on weekends its 2 cars all times. And this info is from a t/o i know that works on PATCO.
For the last several weekends, PATCO has been running 4 car trains on Saturdays, but 2 car trains on Sundays.

Expect the trains to be 4 cars on Saturdays during the Christmas shopping season.

Tommorrow the trains will be six cars to accomondate the passengers going to the parade. In the afternoon, it'll go down to 2 cars.
The next time you'll see a 6 car train on weekends will be on New Year's day [Mummers Parade].

I haven't seen 6 cars outside of rush hours since Live8 in July.