Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#1269715  by 25Hz

Hmm, well the H&M tubes are smaller & carry lighter trains. They also recently got armor plating, so i'm sure they will last a bit longer? They also had the benefit of being out of service for a few years to get some work done.
 #1272980  by 25Hz

OportRailfan wrote:Armor plating? eh, what?
You really don't remember the projects to A. cover the river bottom over the tubes. B. line them inside with steel plate and C. install flood doors?

http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopi ... 70&t=77202" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

#1274051  by 25Hz

I only saw the one set of flood door frames being put in at exchange place, i never saw any actual doors. Its basically a steel and concrete square, with grooves for the wheel flanges on the bottom.

The plating inside is flat, and does not conform to the curve of the iron tubes. The plates looked like they were mounted using the bolt holes that join the tube segments to each other, just with a longer bolt. A pretty innovative system....
 #1274509  by pumpers

I'm late on this one. How nice of NY to want to do this. Of course NY would like to give PATH to NJ. THen they can use even more of the $$ the P.A. rakes in from tolls paid by NJ drivers to cross the Hudson for projects in NY since they won't have to subsidize PATH. JS
 #1274610  by morris&essex4ever

pumpers wrote:I'm late on this one. How nice of NY to want to do this. Of course NY would like to give PATH to NJ. THen they can use even more of the $$ the P.A. rakes in from tolls paid by NJ drivers to cross the Hudson for projects in NY since they won't have to subsidize PATH. JS
Well said.