Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#1254170  by atsf sp

Today I saw work motor L1 for PATH. I was wondering if anyone could shed any light as to the make or model of this motor.
 #1254173  by 4400Washboard

Since you say work motor, I'm thinking that it's a Kawasaki PA4. The only other 2 possible things it could be is a H&M K-car (But I'm pretty sure all those are scrapped now) or a specific locomotive that PATH uses every now and then. I remember seeing a photo of it at the NJT Hoboken Terminal with some PA cars and Comet 1s.
 #1254176  by amtrakhogger

The L1 is dual mode work train train locomotive that can run as a straight diesel electric or run on 3rd rail. IIRC, it can also move on battery power. Path aquired the unit new in late 80's or early 90's. I do not remember who the built the loco.
 #1254265  by 25Hz

amtrakhogger wrote:The L1 is dual mode work train train locomotive that can run as a straight diesel electric or run on 3rd rail. IIRC, it can also move on battery power. Path aquired the unit new in late 80's or early 90's. I do not remember who the built the loco.
So that's what's been sitting up in that yard near the portal all those times, interesting!!
 #1254691  by R36 Combine Coach

L1 is based at Harrison Shop. It has appeared at the 2000, 2001, 2002 (and possibly 1998) Hoboken Festivals.

Most recently it has been coupled to a set of PA4s on the west side of Harrison Yard, next to the NEC main line.
 #1254714  by 25Hz

When i've seen it, there were cars, often 3-5 of them hooked onto it. Two flat car, and an old pa1 was the usual. :)