Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#147614  by Noel Weaver

Finally got a chance to dig out the only two B & O/SIRT timetables for this
line from my collection.
Basically, I wanted to check out two particular things, top speed to
Tottenville was 45 MPH in 1949 but by 1957, the top speed for passenger
trains had been reduced to 40 MPH.
Secondly, the distance between most stations is less than a mile and in
some cases less than half a mile so operation above 40 MPH is probably
out of the question anyway.
The only exception is between Clifton and Grasmere where they run a
mile and a half without stopping.
This line was never exactly a high speed operation and in 1957, it took
close to 40 minutes to go a little bit over 14 miles. I would imagine that
the running time is probably about the same today as it was in 1957.
In 1957, basic service was every 15 minutes with every other train
turning back at Great Kills instead of running through to Tottenville.
There was hourly service during the midnight hours except for a one hour
gap in each direction in the wee hours.
In 1949 when there were three different lines, there was 30 minute
service all the way from St. George to Tottenville but there was also 30
minute service to South Beach and Wentworth Avenue.
the line out of St. George to Arlington also had service every 30 minutes
for the most part with a couple of rush hour trains extended another
8/10 mile to Port Ivory for workers there I suppose.
Speeds were a little lower on the two branches and both of them lost the
passenger trains in the early 1950's. The South Beach branch was
actually abandoned sometime after 1957.
Although this line was run as a railroad, it was more or less a transit type
operation with stops close together and frequent service.
I guess that even in the B & O days of tickets etc, the line could be
considered a cross between a full railroad line, which legally it was, and a
rapid transit line which it resembled.
I don't see how this line could reasonably be operated by either the LIRR
or Metro-North as it does not even have a track connection with either of
them and its operation is far different from either of them.
Noel Weaver

#148201  by Eltingville SINY

MTANYC has just invested mucho dinero to upgrade the signaling system on SIR, so abandoning the line would seem foolish.

Things to do...

Restore passenger ops on the North Shore line - perhaps all the way to NJ (or even NYP)

INstitute a POP fare system on the entire line (generate some revenue and keep the dregs of humanity from using the system as a hangout)

Make SIR part of MTA-rail division, but retain transit-style rolling stock

Expand service up the West Shore from Tottenville

Connection to NJ light rail

#149301  by R142A

For all of you who are saying that the SIRT is in such bad condition, you obviously haven't ridden it recently, or aren't paying enough attention.

First off, the cars. Sure, the interiors are a bit scratched up. The SIRT has been replacing the maps inside the cars and fixing them up a bit more lately. The MUE-2's (the cars are called either MUE-2 or R44SI...the names can be used interchangably) are in MUCH better condition mechanically and structurally than the R44's running on the NYC Subway. Of course, they will probably need new cars within about 10 years or so...but not at this time.

As for maintenance, all the stations look pretty good except Atlantic and Nassau. Atlantic and Nassau were not rehabbed because they were expected to be replaced by a new Arthur Kill station. If the new transit bond is approved by voters this election year, those stations will be replaced by 2009 by a new Arthur Kill station. Once replaced, all stations will be able to hold 5-cars except for Richmond Valley which only holds 3. Regular trains are 4 cars and at night they are 2 cars (that change was made recently to increase security).

The tracks are all in very good quality and have all been replaced recently. Also, a new signalling system was put into effect just about 2 months ago. This allows for the dispatcher to have a signal board and every train has cab signals. The speed limits have been increased to 60mph at some points, but none of the MUE-2's can make it to this speed. One train I was on recently topped out at 47mph. However, I have been on cars that have gone 55mph. It really depends on the condition of the lead car's motor.

It would be extremely hard to eliminate the SIR altogether due to all the money put into it and the politicians. The same goes for POP, the politicians just won't have it. Overall, it's a very nice railway and it really isn't in bad condition at all. Some people are just overreacting. The SIRT does it's job like it's supposed to.

#149373  by Noel Weaver

Schedules have probably never been really fast on the SIRT and with the
close up stations, it probably never will be. I hope to sample the line next
month but I don't expect a high speed ride.
Still think POP is the way to go on fare collection on this line and YES I
believe it could work very well and NO I will not get off at Tompkinsville
to avoid paying the fare.
Noel Weaver

#149535  by Mdlbigcat

Noel Weaver wrote: Still think POP is the way to go on fare collection on this line and YES I
believe it could work very well and NO I will not get off at Tompkinsville
to avoid paying the fare.
Noel Weaver
I don't think POP would not work on this line because of the use of Metrocards. One thing, you cannot tell the difference between a pay-per-ride and an unlimited ride card because they all look the same. How would an inspector check to see if the card was valid ?

Maybe you could put a machine there and tell passengers to swipe their cards and get a receipt, then have inspectors ask for the receipt, but how many people will keep a receipt?

On NJT buses, passengers are required to hold on to their receipts after boarding the buses, but often unless the receipt is attatched to a transfer, the receipts end up on the floor, or in the trash.

If the MTA wants to increase revenue on this line, they will have to install entry and exit gates at all SIRT stations, and make everybody pay when they get on [or off if necessary].

#149659  by Robert Paniagua

Oh, so they are retrofitting the SIRT with ATO like here in Boston, not a bad thing, but I have an idea: to have a few MBTA 01700s sent down to SIRT and see if their ATO is the same as SIRT, I'm sure they would be, but the lenght of the 01700s (god forbid if they ever ran on SIRT) would have to run at 4-car lengths since they are married pairs (2-car sets) and they would have to be modified for FRA conditions, unless the SIRT becomes an FTA jurisdiction route.

POP

#149745  by Noel Weaver

It would be simple enough to put a metro card, credit card or cash into a
slot on a ticket machine to get a ticket to indicated the date and the
conditions of the trip.
POP works well throughout the world. It works on lines that travel through
questionalbe areas of Los Angeles, Miami and other large cities and it
would work very well on this particular line.
The line in my back yard, Tri-Rail once had its share of "fare beaters" but
once they clamped down and decided to check every train, every trip, the
word got around quite fast and today they do not need to bust people too
often, most of them have valid tickets.
Armed guards also cut down on other nonesense abord trains like these
and are generally well received by the passengers except for the ones
who are looking to beat the system for a free ride.
I would bet that revenues would increase from a POP system too.
Noel Weaver

#149949  by Dan

The MTA is completing a $100M signal upgrade job on the SIRT. The old trackside signals have been removed and cab signalling is in place. All this for a line that is only busy in the rush hours. Supposedly this upgrade gives the SIR the ability to run at higher speeds and to 'wrong-rail' express trains, but beyond that I don't see the point of this project.

An area adjacent to the St. George-bound track near Princeton Avenue was cleared of trees and flattened out a few months back. What is going to be put there? Electronic signalling equipment?

#150022  by R142A

Dan wrote:The MTA is completing a $100M signal upgrade job on the SIRT. The old trackside signals have been removed and cab signalling is in place. All this for a line that is only busy in the rush hours. Supposedly this upgrade gives the SIR the ability to run at higher speeds and to 'wrong-rail' express trains, but beyond that I don't see the point of this project.

An area adjacent to the St. George-bound track near Princeton Avenue was cleared of trees and flattened out a few months back. What is going to be put there? Electronic signalling equipment?
The main points of the signalling system was to:

1) Allow operations to see exactly where trains are instead of relying on radio.

2) Create an extra level of safety.

3) Allow for higher speeds when wrong-railing.

#150024  by R142A

Let me add: starting July 28th, the SIRT is increasing service by 10% in order to accomodate an increase in ferry service.

#150051  by 4 Express

From what I know, right now the MTA is restoring the North Shore line right now for passenger/frieght service between St. George & Port Ivory by 2015. They are also planning to put entrance & exiting HEET's at Tompkinsville.

#150187  by Noel Weaver

Don't look for a big increase in speeds nor for much of a decrease in the
running times, most trains run local and the stations are much too close
together for any kind of speed running.
Noel Weaver

#150446  by Robert Paniagua

That's true Noel, the whole revenue line is 14 miles only and 21 stations in between, so that's around two stations every mile, practically.

#150633  by R142A

Robert Paniagua wrote:That's true Noel, the whole revenue line is 14 miles only and 21 stations in between, so that's around two stations every mile, practically.
I count 22 stations...how come everyone always says 21?

#150640  by 4 Express

The whole SIRT active right now is 23 stops, 22 not counting Ballpark.