Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#1230431  by RearOfSignal

Wrong forum. This belongs in the MTA NYC Subway Forum.

Anyway, the black and white board, "Conductor's Board" allows subway conductor to know that entire train is on the platform and no doors are hanging off. Some stations have multiple boards to allow for trains with differing numbers of cars in consist. They point to ensure that the train is spotted correctly on platform before opening the doors.
 #1230469  by Tadman

I love that video. It shows how 90% of conductors maintain a sense of humor and energy to get through their day with so many people, all the while making sure the train is safely operating. It'd be a tough job.
 #1230495  by Rbts Stn

RearOfSignal wrote:Wrong forum. This belongs in the MTA NYC Subway Forum.

Anyway, the black and white board, "Conductor's Board" allows subway conductor to know that entire train is on the platform and no doors are hanging off. Some stations have multiple boards to allow for trains with differing numbers of cars in consist. They point to ensure that the train is spotted correctly on platform before opening the doors.
I realized that just a moment too late. I did "report this post" and hope the moderators move it to the correct forum.

Good of the conductors to have a great sense of humor, nice of the "pranksters" (for lack of a better word) to show appreciation of the conductors.
 #1231268  by keithsy

lirr42 wrote:The video's been spread around so much the MTA even put out a press release (http://new.mta.info/news/2013/11/12/sub ... way-safety" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) on the boards.
This has been for the last 2 decades, starting with those inane train ID announcements, which detracted from the conductor's true duties. So-called customer service has been deemed more important that operation. You cannot have it both ways. The conductor and the motorman are there to get a train from Point A to B, not to be pals with the public. That is the reason for the door-enabler. I understand that it has been disabled. I ride the subway and I pray God that the crew is correct "upstairs" and that I do not meet with an accident. Two conductors will never work again because of this rubbish, One died of a cranial injury, while another is walking vegetable because they did not know when to pull their heads in. Just today, I was on a Brighton-6th Ave., when at Atlantic, she threw the doors open and talked on the PA as the train stopped-all in one motion.
 #1231271  by keithsy

Rbts Stn wrote:
RearOfSignal wrote:Wrong forum. This belongs in the MTA NYC Subway Forum.

I realized that just a moment too late. I did "report this post" and hope the moderators move it to the correct forum.

Good of the conductors to have a great sense of humor, nice of the "pranksters" (for lack of a better word) to show appreciation of the conductors.
I do not think narrow. I just hope that c/r does not take these pranksters for System Safety MBA and does something wrong.