Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#1513358  by XBNSFer

R36 Combine Coach wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2015 2:55 pmIf the North Shore is fully reactivated, SIRT M-9s could have their major work done at the MMC under contract via the Arthur Kill lift bridge.
Stop it! I'm gonna pee my pants laughing! This won't happen in my lifetime or yours. They've "studied" it enough to build it five times. Take it from a "native" who grew up within walking distance of the North Shore Line.
 #1516494  by BuddR32

I doubt we'd see any north shore line service in our lifetimes, unless you were alive in 1953.

As for the R-44 replacement, it will be a variation of whatever new subway car is being procured at the time. Any talk of a LI or MN type commuter car is not going to happen, for many of the mentioned reasons, in short it makes no practical sense.

The new fleet need not be FRA complaint. The MTA went through great pains to get rid of the FRA. Successful on SI, and a many attempted pipe dream on LI. A different signal/control system on an option of R-211s isnt as complicated as it is being portrayed here. Proof of that is all the Metropolitan cars. While essentially the same, there are significant differences between the MN & LI versions.
 #1516557  by Backshophoss

SIRT is totally isolated from the national network,the row from Arlington yard to St George is ripped up,long gone!
All Equipment is trucked or barged in,the R46's were tweaked as needed for SIRT service,but can run on the subway trackage.
New Equipment(Believe R 162 class) will run on Subway and SIRT without any tweaks.
 #1516641  by andrewjw

Backshophoss wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 6:57 pm SIRT is totally isolated from the national network,the row from Arlington yard to St George is ripped up,long gone!
All Equipment is trucked or barged in,the R46's were tweaked as needed for SIRT service,but can run on the subway trackage.
New Equipment(Believe R 162 class) will run on Subway and SIRT without any tweaks.
The new equipment is the R211 (you may have confused it with the R262 set to replace the R62).
 #1516671  by njtmnrrbuff

Whatever replaces the R44s will be very similar to whatever operates on other subway lines. Yes, the SIR might feel like an enhanced version of a commuter rail line but it's still part of the NYCMTA network. I am tired of still seeing those R44s operating in revenue service. They are way beyond their useful lives. They are dirty as well. At least, they should be cleaned regularly.

They have talked about some sort of rail service on the North Shore route which would be great as that would help cut down on traffic. Maybe running a BRT route there would be a solution.
 #1585592  by XBNSFer

Backshophoss wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 6:57 pm SIRT is totally isolated from the national network,the row from Arlington yard to St George is ripped up,long gone!
They never ripped up the old North Shore Line, save maybe the portion restored for freight service (Arlington Yard plus a spur for switching room up to Union Ave.). Some of the right of way close to St. George where it was built on fill has been washed away for many years, some might be paved over or otherwise buried where it passes through industrial properties, but for the most part the track is still there, with trees growing through it.