Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#138541  by Head-end View

On yesterday's evening news they announced that soon all trains on the "L" line will run with a train operator only. There will be no more conductors and the train op will control the doors too. At the head-end of every station platform right at the motorman's window position will be video monitor screens wired to cameras that will scan the platform to compensate for the train operator not being able to see completely down the (600 ft?) length of the train.

I wonder if this is a safe way to go. This might be okay in other cities where they have shorter trains and less crowding, but I question whether it should be done here with NYC's long platforms and trains. What will happen if the video monitors fail? Then how will safety be maintained? And you can be sure there will be failures. And some screens will be out-of-service for months waiting for repairs, just like everything else in New York. And when the first victim gets dragged and killed, it will be a heck of a lawsuit when the victim's family finds out that the camera or monitor wasn't working and the operator couldn't see properly.

Also, isn't the normal practice for the conductor to keep watching down the length of the train as it starts to leave the station. Is the motorman going to do that too, when he needs to be looking forward?

I know the MTA wants to reduce the number of jobs to save money but I really wonder if this will be a safe way to operate in New York City.

#139208  by Robert Paniagua

I know Ian, I totally agree with you. They should keep guards on the L line. Here in Boston, our Blue Line went through that in 1996, and eliminated conductors on their trains as a cost cutting effort. Although our Blue Line trains are a lot shorter that 8 car L trains, and they also use video monitors like they would use on the L line. But you're right, if any of those CCTV monitors don't work and an accident/incident happens, then it could be a lawsuit waiting to happen.

That's why I call for the train attendant position to stay in the L line! Don't eliminate it!!

#139571  by arrow

I agree that it will be quite a bit different and perhaps more unsafe without the conductor, but I think this was destined to happen.

Don't forget when the R44s were built they were made to be operated similarly to the WMATA in Washington, DC where the operator simply opens and closes doors but the train is automatically driven. That was 30 years ago and we still don't have anything like that, but I think it will happen eventually.

Also, maybe just to start with but the OPTO will only be used during weekends and late night weekdays (midnight-6AM).

#139769  by F40

What will happen if the video monitors fail? Then how will safety be maintained? And you can be sure there will be failures.
Then they should use the ones NJT uses on their Hudson-Bergen Light Rail and River LINE rail vehicles. They haven't been major problems as of yet, and they have been in operation at least one year. (longer for the HBLR)

#140769  by EastCleveland

I predict that the moment some unlucky passenger is violently robbed, seriously injured, or worse, the daily press, the transit riders groups, and every city politician hoping for re-election will go completely bananas. Especially if the passenger is white, young, female, and attractive.

The MTA, ever-sensitive to extremely bad publicity, will reinstall the conductors. And the one-person "Subway of the Future" will disappear.

#141972  by burkeman

I want to know what happen to jobs of these conductors? Where will they go?

#143572  by ctaman34

Conductors will go to other lines except the G

#146425  by li7039

why not the G

#162498  by pgengler

The NY Times has an article today (online, at least, as I don't read the paper copy) about how conductors will be back on the overnight/weekend L trains.

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/08/31/nyreg ... ubway.html
In a significant defeat for New York City Transit, an arbitrator has ruled that the removal of train conductors from the L subway line on nights and weekends violated a labor agreement and ordered that the conductors be restored immediately.

#162536  by Robert Paniagua

That's good, they need them back, especially with passenger safety at steak, so I'm glad they are bringing train attendants back.

#162543  by 4 Express

This should've been done a long time ago.

#163630  by ctaman34

li7039 wrote:why not the G
The G is also going opto

#163649  by 4 Express

ctaman34 wrote:
The G is also going opto
I'm going to have to correct you cta, the G is not going OPTO since it's moving to CI yard & will use the R-160's in 5 cars sets & one R-160 car is is about 60 feet, 2 inches, multiply that by 5 & you get 310 feet, higher than the MTA's agreement.

#163917  by ctaman34

4 Express wrote:
ctaman34 wrote:
The G is also going opto
I'm going to have to correct you cta, the G is not going OPTO since it's moving to CI yard & will use the R-160's in 5 cars sets & one R-160 car is is about 60 feet, 2 inches, multiply that by 5 & you get 310 feet, higher than the MTA's agreement.
Actually #4 express a train operator on another board says different
alcan wrote:Got word that the TA plan to operate the G line OPTO 24 Hours a day, 7 days a week starting on Dec. 11, on the same the L line could go OPTO 24 hours too. I saw the TA pick sheets with the letters OP next to each G job.
says it here
http://www.straphangers.org/ubb/ultimat ... 4;t=000223

#163920  by 4 Express

ctaman34 wrote:
4 Express wrote:
ctaman34 wrote:
The G is also going opto
Actually #4 express a train operator on another board says different
alcan wrote:Got word that the TA plan to operate the G line OPTO 24 Hours a day, 7 days a week starting on Dec. 11, on the same the L line could go OPTO 24 hours too. I saw the TA pick sheets with the letters OP next to each G job.
says it here
http://www.straphangers.org/ubb/ultimat ... 4;t=000223
Then I guess I stand corrected, although it would be against the MTA's agreement.