Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

by Majinvegeta

I heard on the news that the F train service is disrupted. Whats going on??

by arrow

I was on the F today around 2PM and didn't notice anything.

However, today around 4:30 I was waiting for the 2 train and the 5 pulled in, I guess something happened with 2/5 service. The train was an R143.

by arrow

Well here's some info on the problems:

http://www.mta.info/alert/alertnyct.htm
  by Allan

Majinvegeta wrote:I heard on the news that the F train service is disrupted. Whats going on??
The vaccum train (Vac-Trak) derailed.

From the NY Times:

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/06/01/nyreg ... ubway.html?

"Work Train Derails, Slowing Subway Service

By SEWELL CHAN
Published: June 1, 2005
A massive work train that sucks up trash derailed early yesterday in Brooklyn, near the highest point in the subway system, disrupting Manhattan-bound service on the F line for much of the day and delaying thousands of morning commuters.

A vacuum train derailed near the city's highest subway station in Gowanus, delaying thousands of commuters on the F line.
The five-car work train had been used for an overnight cleaning shift and was being returned to a storage yard in East New York at 4:02 a.m., when it derailed about 500 feet north of the station at Smith and Ninth Streets in Gowanus.

The station, used by the F and G lines, stands 87.5 feet above the Gowanus Canal and is the highest in New York City. It took more than 60 track and car maintainers and other workers until 3:22 p.m. to get the train moving again. It was removed to a rail yard near Coney Island for repairs. Transit officials rented two large cranes, one to deliver materials to the site and the other to lift up the middle car so it could be placed back on the tracks.

[snip- you can read the rest of the story at the link above - OV]

by Majinvegeta

Was it true that some F trains were rerouted over the Manhattan Bridge??

by Robert Paniagua

That would be nice if they did. R46 cars on the Manhattan Bridge were banned for a while, but I think the R46-Manhattan Bridge ban has been lifted.

by John Laubenheimer

During this (Tuesday) outage, all southbound (Queens to Brooklyn) "F" trains operated over the normal routing (via Smith/9th Streets), except for a few which terminated at Jay Street to provide some northbound service. Northbound was a very different story! Some through "F" trains operated via either the "D" (West End) or "N" (Sea Beach) lines, across the Manhattan Bridge, and re-joining the normal route at Broadway-Lafayette. (Not too many could do this, due to over-saturation at DeKalb Avenue in downtown Brooklyn.) In addition to the above-mentioned "F" trains which originated at Jay Street, some "F" trains operated from Coney Island to Church Avenue, where they returned to Coney Island. A single track shuttle service operated from Church Avenue to 4th Avenue/9th Streets in the northbound direction only; this fed passengers into the 4th Avenue line ("R" and "M" service). By the afternoon rush hour, "F" service (only) was running through the area (Smith/9th Streets) on the express track, which has been out of service pending the completion of repairs at the Bergen Street station! As of Wednesday, service is back to normal, albeit slow, through the area of the derailment.

by ctaman34

Robert Paniagua wrote:That would be nice if they did. R46 cars on the Manhattan Bridge were banned for a while, but I think the R46-Manhattan Bridge ban has been lifted.
yes they were