Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#129377  by orangeline

I lived in or around NYC from the mid-50's thru the early 90's and had countless rides on the subway. I think my favorite cars are the R-10's because of their different rooflines. They always gave me the illusion of being bigger than they really were!

I also have a fondness for the R-1 and immediate followup early IND cars as well as the BMT Standards.

I was never that impressed with IRT cars, though, possibly with the exception of pre R-series cars. I vaguely recall in the early 60's riding with my mother on Lex local trains that looked dark outside and kind of dimly lit inside. Basically back then they looked OLD. What sticks in my mind are bare lightbulbs and a grinding, moaning sound whenever the train left a station. I just don't remember what type of cars they were.
 #131316  by Head-end View

Orangeline: those were probably pre-World War II, original IRT equipment, called the Lo-V's (meaning low voltage). The last ones ran 'til around 1965 I think. I rode one on the Lex Express circa 1962. I was barely tall enough to see out the front window but I remember it well. It bumped and groaned, but it went fast.......... :wink: