Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#1158492  by Allan

But not the new station.

The MTA has announced that they will reopen to service the old South Ferry loop station during the first week of April 2013.

The loop station was closed in March 2009 when the new station opened.

They have added a new passageway at the front of the platform to allow transfers between the 1 and R trains (Whitehall St-South Ferry).

The old "only the 1st 5 cars will open" procedure goes back into effect.

It is estimated it will take 3 years to rebuild the new station.
 #1161067  by railfan365

Only in New York - or a Marx Brothers movie. Hundreds of millions of dollars and several years of work went into creating the new South Ferry Terminal, and that's the terminal that got destroyed with the old terminal going back into use as the backup while they start over to almost recreate the new terminal.
 #1162793  by 25Hz

They are going to have to put raised vent grates and some kinda barrier that completely seals off the entryways or it will happen again.

They might also think about flood doors for that new connection to the old station as well... Plus when cortland is opened again they might wanna think about drainage & water management.
 #1166929  by Lronan

Used this station for years. Live on Staten Island for over 40 years and before that with my parents in the 40's. always loved the trains and the ferry. Read every thing I could collect on them. And how they were planned and work, funny how the old system was as least partially water safe, in fact I believe it was planned that way, or least could be up and running in minimum time.
This just shows that, simplicity in fact, is better then this new complicated stuff in the real world. Please note that the old Hudson tubes were back on line and "one" station South Ferry will take years. I may be wrong on this, or they just never gave a "hoot" about Staten Islanders, which is not surprising.
 #1182257  by flexliner

from my understanding of the post I referenced from another forum, yes. the new station is lower.
from other descriptions I have read the old station is at the same depth as the new mezzanine that connected the whitehall st station to the new SF
and the reconstruction involved breaking a wall from the loop platform to get to that mezzanine.
the new platform was accessed from the mezzanine and is one floor lower.
I have not ridden into the new station. perhaps those of you who have can confirm (or not) this
 #1185492  by Allan

flexliner wrote:from my understanding of the post I referenced from another forum, yes. the new station is lower.
from other descriptions I have read the old station is at the same depth as the new mezzanine that connected the whitehall st station to the new SF
and the reconstruction involved breaking a wall from the loop platform to get to that mezzanine.
the new platform was accessed from the mezzanine and is one floor lower.
I have not ridden into the new station. perhaps those of you who have can confirm (or not) this

Having been back to the reopened station I can confirm that it slightly above the mezzanine level (2 steps down from the SF platform to the mezzanine). The new station is 1 level down from the mezzanine. The Whitehall St - South Ferry station of the R is 2 levels down from the mezzanine.
 #1186099  by Allan

Thomas wrote:What is the depth of the South Ferry Station that was destroyed in Hurricane Sandy, and how soon can it open?

The trackbed of the station is about 55 feet below the street. It will be at least 3 years (from the point that they start rebuilding) before it reopens. Everything has to be replaced and they have to put in the waterproofing that was not put in when the station was being built. (It wasn't put into the contract specifications and the contractor didn't think to bring the issue up (or so he says)].
 #1186271  by Allan

Backshophoss wrote:They forgot the waterproofing??? Depending on what is found as they rip out the damage,might take a little longer to do it right this time around.
I am sure they will find someway to foul it up.

It will take longer and they will have to have to use different methods because they can't waterproof the outside of the structure unless they dig up the street/plaza above the station.