Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#110708  by JPhurst

Just curious, has anyone else had any trouble with the new machines reading your PATH quick card? I've had at least two occassions where a machine said my card was invalid. Once, I was able to run it through again and get it to work. Once, I couldn't use it at all, but the next time a tried the card at a different station it was fine.

#110956  by andy

There is one turnstile at Hoboken that I noticed this happening a lot. Took my about a week to figure out that it wasn't me, but it was the card reader. However, it would always work the second time.

I haven't had any trouble at 9th Street, Newark, Pavonia/Newport or World Trade Center.

#111622  by Allan

I have been having that problem at 33rd St. The new turnstiles won't accept my QuickCard but the old ones will. It is strange because the week before I had no problems whatsoever.

The turnstiles at Pavonia/Newport work without a problem.

I wrote an email to the PA and they advise that because the 33rd St turnstiles are new they are experienceing problems.

This morning the problem at 33rd St seems to have been fixed.

#113554  by blasito

I had the invalid card screen at Hoboken the other day, but I used the turnstile next to it and it was fine. There's one machine at 23rd St, downtown entrance, that won't take the card if it's a little bent, and one at Christopher St. that also has trouble reading cards.

#113657  by JPhurst

I have, on two or three occassions, had the card rejected at 33rd street, although I could run it through an adjacent turnstile.

One time, at WTC, the machines just wouldn't accept my card.

#117048  by arrow

Had that problem Wednesday at 14th Street. Two turnstiles said the card was invalid. Tried a third one and it worked. The card was in good shape too.

The new turnstiles are much slower than the old ones and don't seem to work as well. At least they fixed it so you can see how many trips you have left better.

#117278  by pgengler

I had to try three turnstiles at Hoboken this morning to get through ... the first one repeatedly told me to try again (which I did, with no success), and the second told me my card was invalid. I put it through a third turnstile and it worked on the first try.