Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#1107638  by 25Hz

Christopher st station has very cramped and winding stairs, i don't blame them for holding off.
 #1112394  by 25Hz

Nwk-wtc running, jsq-33rd running. No 33rd-hob, wtc-hob or 33rd-hob-jsq.

I've seen footage of the river at that later high tide at exp. The water was up over the turnstiles at the exp tower entrance. I can only imagine the scene at the escalator entrance as its literally 10 feet from the water normally. That one has the escalators, emergency stairs, and the huge ventilation shafts. All good places for the water to go down.

Looks like they installed those flood doors just in time.
 #1112671  by Head-end View

Nice try. WTC service was running for only a few hours when it was suspended for a while this morning due to some sort of electrical problem. Anyone have any details?

Good point about the flood doors. Does anybody know if they were used and whether they succeeded in controlling the flooding to any extent?
 #1113340  by 25Hz

Head-end View wrote:Nice try. WTC service was running for only a few hours when it was suspended for a while this morning due to some sort of electrical problem. Anyone have any details?

Good point about the flood doors. Does anybody know if they were used and whether they succeeded in controlling the flooding to any extent?
Well, the fact that they had jsq-33rd up and running soon after tells me they did. Time to back in service for the downtown tubes was a lot longer because they had flooding on either side. It took them several days to pump out the wtc site and about a day or 2 to pump out the nj side. There was absolutely no hint or mention of flooding in any of the 4 river tubes, so i think that says a lot too.
 #1121083  by lirr42

An update from the Port Authority:
@PATHTweet wrote:Around-the-clock weekend work moved #PATH closer to HOB service restoration. Testing trains soon and expect news this week regarding HOB.
 #1121208  by 25Hz

I am very curious to know what actually happened there in terms of damage.
 #1121209  by Terry Kennedy

25Hz wrote:I am very curious to know what actually happened there in terms of damage.
This Star-Ledger article from the end of November has a photo gallery which shows some ofthe damage.
 #1121383  by lirr42

From the Port Authority website:
Port Authority of New York and New Jersey wrote:PATH's Hoboken-33rd Street service resumes Wednesday 12-19-12 at 5 a.m. and operates every day from 5 a.m. to 10 p.m.

Service map beginning tomorrow, Wednsday 19 Dec:

So HOB-WTC is the only service not operating at this time.

Here's the low-down of what's going on for the next little while:

Weekdays, 5am-10pm
Hoboken-33rd Street
Journal Square-33rd Street
Newark-World Trade Center

Weekends, 5am-10pm
Hoboken-33rd Street
Newark-33rd Street
(no service to: Exchange Place, WTC)

All Days, 10pm-5am
NO service operates.
 #1125472  by lirr42

The Port Authority has made known their service plans for the New Year's Holdiay:

New Years Eve DAY (Dec 31), 5am-10pm
Hoboken-33rd Street

New Years Eve OVERNIGHT (Dec 31-Jan 1), 10pm-5am
Hoboken-33rd Street
Newark-33rd Street
(no service to: Exchange Place, WTC)

New Years Day (Jan 1), 5am-10pm
Hoboken-33rd Street

New Years Day OVERNIGHT and all further late nights, 10pm-5am
NO service operates.
 #1129254  by lirr42

NWK-WTC is the only service running this weekend. Bus service is being provided from HOB and Newport to Grove Square. PATH said that they anticipate 24-hour service being restored within 7-10 days of January 2 (so that's next week sometime).
 #1129734  by 25Hz

I wonder what happened that kept trains from going that way from hoboken...
 #1129753  by lirr42

It's Hoboken and 33rd Street's turn to sit the weekend out so they can do repairs more quickly and efficiently to those areas.
 #1130090  by 25Hz

No, i mean, trains have not run between HOB and newport since the storm. Wondering why...