Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

by JoeG

I understand that the Steinway tube is flooded. But, I don't understand why the 7 train could not operate between Main St and Queensboro Plaza. That is a common event.

What makes that impossible or impractical now?

They are restoring service tonight between Main St and 74 St. The N train is running to Queensboro Plaza. Why not restore the 7 line to Queensboro Plaza now?
  by lirr42

Let's be glad we have the service we have. The MTA is not holding out on service just to mess with us. They have been doing a very good job up to this point, I'm sure they're going to work long and hard to get this system back to normal.
  by JoeG

I have no doubt the MTA is working hard to restore service.
I am not suggesting any plots or conspiracies.
I am just curious about why they could not run the 7 train to Queensboro Plaza from Main St.
Undoubtedly there is a good reason. I would like to know that reason.
  by Kamen Rider

There was a major malfunction in the 7's signal system that had to be cleared before trains could run on the uneffected sections.
  by Disney Guy

Without signals, can't trains be run on a line-of-sight basis on above ground portions of the line? Perhaps at a slower speed? Perhaps always skipping certain stops to shorten the trip time and thus permit more trips and more passenger hauling capacity?
  by JackRussell

It sounds like the ConEd substation is the major blocker to getting more service restored, but that won't happen until late Saturday at the earliest.

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/mon_ ... tent=Local
“The East River tunnels carrying the 4, 5 and F trains [between lower Manhattan and Brooklyn] are now free of water,’’ he said. “The tracks are dry, the signal testing has been completed. Service can be restored within two hours of restoration by Con Ed.”
The MTA said water has also been cleared out of the Clark Street and Steinway tunnels — which carry the 2 and 3 and 7 trains, respectively — but can’t be used because of power issues.

The only tunnels that still have major flooding are the Montague Street — which carries the R into Brooklyn — and 14th Street, which is used by the L train.
  by pumpers

JackRussell wrote:It sounds like the ConEd substation is the major blocker to getting more service restored, but that won't happen until late Saturday at the earliest.

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/mon_ ... tent=Local
“The East River tunnels carrying the 4, 5 and F trains [between lower Manhattan and Brooklyn] are now free of water,’’ he said. “The tracks are dry, the signal testing has been completed. Service can be restored within two hours of restoration by Con Ed.”
The MTA said water has also been cleared out of the Clark Street and Steinway tunnels — which carry the 2 and 3 and 7 trains, respectively — but can’t be used because of power issues.

The only tunnels that still have major flooding are the Montague Street — which carries the R into Brooklyn — and 14th Street, which is used by the L train.
Fantastic job by MTA. WIth luck on the ConEd side, things could be getting close to normal by early next week.
That leaves the A/C tunnel and the E tunnel which are out of service. DOn't know if these were flooded, or not flooded and out of service because of power issues or OOS due to problems on the non-tunnel portions of the lines.
JS
  by Kamen Rider

Disney Guy wrote:Without signals, can't trains be run on a line-of-sight basis on above ground portions of the line? Perhaps at a slower speed? Perhaps always skipping certain stops to shorten the trip time and thus permit more trips and more passenger hauling capacity?
Um, let me think...No

how on God's green earth are you supposed to regulate an underground terminal interlocking without some level of control
  by Jeff Smith

http://www.mta.info/status/1

MTA Service AdvisoryAdditional Subway Service Added The addition of the 5 shuttle between the North Bronx and Midtown Manhattan via the White Plains Road Line. The service between Jamaica Center and 34th Street/Herald Square via the 63rd Street Tube, which suffered no water damage, will operate as a local along Queens Boulevard and Sixth Avenue. The addition of the M to Queens Boulevard means a doubling of capacity along the second most heavily-traveled corridor in the city. train service will operate between Main St and 74th St/Broadway, providing a crucial link for commuters who rely on the Flushing Line after transferring at Main St from local bus service.

The and service enhancements are in addition to subway service between Upper Manhattan and the Bronx to Midtown, and service to Downtown Brooklyn and Williamsburg which began operating on Thursday. Once in Brooklyn, customers can avail themselves of Shuttle Bus service at Jay St - MetroTech, Atlantic Ave - Barclays Center and Hewes St in Williamsburg to 54th St and Lexington Ave in Midtown Manhattan. See Bus Stops in Manhattan.

Customers should be mindful that the is not traveling its regular route. Until full service is restored to all lines, customers should expect some delays and crowding on trains and should stagger their travel times. More work needs to be done to restore normal subway service to all lines across the city. Heavy duty pump trains continue to rid several under river subway tunnels of water. Crews are checking track, signals and other components, and then resting them to make sure they will function properly when service is restored. Customers are advised to view the Hurricane Sandy Recovery Service map:

See Subway Recovery Map

Bus service will be operating on a near normal weekday schedule. Some routes may be operating with minor detours due to street conditions, customers are advised to look for signage at bus stops. Customers should also expect longer waits and crowded conditions.

See New York City Bus Maps

Access-A-Ride began regular service on Thursday, November 1 for all eligible Paratransit customers. All service, both advanced reservation and subscription will be delivered, with the exception of areas in Zone A, including the Rockaways, City Island, Lower Manhattan and Staten Island. However, if you need a trip of medical necessity (dialysis, chemotherapy or radiation treatment) please call 1-877-337-2017 and every effort will be made to provide the trip.
  by virtualchuck

Kamen Rider wrote:
Disney Guy wrote:Without signals, can't trains be run on a line-of-sight basis on above ground portions of the line? Perhaps at a slower speed? Perhaps always skipping certain stops to shorten the trip time and thus permit more trips and more passenger hauling capacity?
Um, let me think...No

how on God's green earth are you supposed to regulate an underground terminal interlocking without some level of control
Really unhappy flagmen?

Chuck
  by MBTA3247

virtualchuck wrote:
Kamen Rider wrote:
Um, let me think...No

Really unhappy flagmen?

Chuck
That was my thought as well. They need the manpower elsewhere, though.
  by Kamen Rider

you could use flagmen, if you're alright with a 5MPH top speed on the 7.
  by Backshophoss

You need to get all the trip arms down,or disable the tripper valves on the cars to run in the dead signal sections,
safer to wait for working signals.