Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

by Jeff Smith

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/04/23/real ... s-nyc.html
For an upcoming project, The New York Times is hoping to learn more about New Yorkers who live in apartments or homes adjacent to elevated subway tracks.
This makes me wonder if they are going to advocate the replacement of the Els. If not, it's still and interesting story.

If you had your druthers, and unlimited funds lol, which El would you replace?
  by Allan

I am going to say "Cue the NIMBYs"

For all those who would say replace the Els, I am sure almost all of them would object strongly when digging a subway in their neighborhood is suggested.

(I thought there was more newsworthy subjects for the NYT than this).
  by Allan

west point wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:41 pm My choice would be the #7 el in Queens to be replaced with subway. But only if it was 4 main tracks all the way.
Roosevelt Av is barely wide enough for a 3 track elevated structure, let alone an underground 4 track (with stations) subway.
  by west point

Allan wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:06 pm
west point wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:41 pm My choice would be the #7 el in Queens to be replaced with subway. But only if it was 4 main tracks all the way.
Roosevelt Av is barely wide enough for a 3 track elevated structure, let alone an underground 4 track (with stations) subway.
4 tracks do not have to be side by side. Why not 2 on top of 2 others? That makes it easier to tunnel as most of tunnel would be inside of the present "L" supports. To go one step further make all clearances equal to BMT / IND clearances rather than IRT tightness?
  by Jeff Smith

My choice would be the Jerome Avenue Line, although I would miss coming out of the tunnel by Yankee Stadium. I think this neighborhood would greatly benefit by the removal of the el. Of course, it's also parallel to the Concourse Line, which is a subway.

After that, the White Plains Road line.
  by ExCon90

west point wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:33 pm
4 tracks do not have to be side by side. Why not 2 on top of 2 others?
In that case I would adopt the Central Park West arrangement with both eastbound
tracks on the upper level and westbound on the lower so that people working in Manhattan would walk down two levels in the am and up one level in the pm, rather than the Lex pattern with expresses on the lower, to facilitate changing from a local to an express when the opportunity presents itself at an express station.
  by MACTRAXX

ExCon90 wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:50 pm
west point wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:33 pm
4 tracks do not have to be side by side. Why not 2 on top of 2 others?
In that case I would adopt the Central Park West arrangement with both eastbound
tracks on the upper level and westbound on the lower so that people working in Manhattan would walk down two levels in the am and up one level in the pm, rather than the Lex pattern with expresses on the lower, to facilitate changing from a local to an express when the opportunity presents itself at an express station.
Everyone: After reading these comments I will ask: What would the price tag in $$billions$$ to replace the entire #7 Flushing Line elevated between Hunterspoint Av and
the Flushing River bridge leading to the underground Main Street Flushing terminal?

The NIMBY opposition would be loud and fierce against a project that would disrupt #7
lineside neighborhoods in Queens for a long period that would be measured in years or
even decades even with the benefits of a new subway upon completion…

Allan-I agree with you about noise complaints on NYCT elevated structures - people that
live in those neighborhoods understand that the line was there first and are vital to the
economy of that general area and NYC as a whole…

Does anyone remember the scene in the 1980 movie “The Blues Brothers” when Jake
went to live with his brother Elwood in his Chicago apartment - with the constant CTA
L trains passing by? Elwood mentions that you don’t even notice them after a while…

MACTRAXX
  by R36 Combine Coach

MBTA replaced the Orange Line el (Washington Street) with a subway though.

Don't forget the Archer Line in 1988 was the long delayed replacement for the Jamaica Avenue el.
  by Head-end View

Speaking as a lifelong railroad/subway buff, I for one would hate to see the Flushing El replaced. I've liked the "railroad scenic" aspect of that el since I first rode it as a kid in the early 1960's and I still like it today. Even if we can't see out the front window as well as on the old trains, it's still one of the best rides in the City.
  by Allan

STrRedWolf wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 12:43 pm The question I have though is... how deep is it from street level to bedrock? It may not actually be feasable to sink the subway down far enough.
According to this geological map I'd say you'd have to go VERY deep.

https://www.usgs.gov/geology-and-ecolog ... ears%20ago)%20and%20glacial%20deposits.

(at the above page scroll up a tiny bit to see a diagram of what the strata of Queens is made of).