Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

by ajp

according to Trains Newswire the "re" construction of the shuttle will start Aug. 16
with mentioning everything in the original posted article
and talking about more stairways on the GCT side
  by R36 Combine Coach

Shuttle suspended as part of essential service schedule, through 12/31/20. The closure may actually accelerate the project. All crosstown passengers directed to the 7.
  by flexliner

Anyone have photos or news of the shuttle progress? After the re-do will there be a crossover from track one to four? Or will one still connect to the lex and four to 7ave?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  by STrRedWolf

flexliner wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:23 am Anyone have photos or news of the shuttle progress? After the re-do will there be a crossover from track one to four? Or will one still connect to the lex and four to 7ave?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
They're usually good at posting stuff on their Flickr page, but right now... nothing.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/mtaphotos
  by Silverliner II

flexliner wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:23 am After the re-do will there be a crossover from track one to four? Or will one still connect to the lex and four to 7ave?
Just as a friendly guess.... I'm betting the crossover will be saying good-bye. I've not seen if the tunnel configuration even permits additional crossovers all the way across, but either way, with each track having a link to the rest of the system, I'd call it a good guess it's a goner.
  by STrRedWolf

Silverliner II wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 11:28 pm Just as a friendly guess.... I'm betting the crossover will be saying good-bye. I've not seen if the tunnel configuration even permits additional crossovers all the way across, but either way, with each track having a link to the rest of the system, I'd call it a good guess it's a goner.
It's a good guess. The crossover is only between 1 and 3. Yanking out 3 and making wider island platforms means yanking the interlock.

But then... it's really not needed. It's all IRT track, going from 1-2-3 to 4-5-6. There's a few other places that you can do the crossover.
  by STrRedWolf

A late update: I was going through the 2016 edition of "The Tracks of the NYC Subway" and had forgotten on page 67, they had the plans.

Instead of taking it out, they shortened track 3 into a storage track at Grand Central... and installed a second connection so you can go 1-3-4 at Grand Central.

So I'm possibly wrong there.