Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

#1018104  by Train538

1538 (with M8s) reported about 10 minutes ago that a helicopter that has swooped down on them in Stamford, Darien, and Green's Farms (as of 5 minutes ago). The helicopter has been getting dangerously close to the overhead wires. The engineer wasn't able to see the tail number, but the color was blue. Weirdly enough, I saw the same helicopter fly over my house about an hour ago. The police have been notified but don't know any details. 1575 was notified a few minutes ago. This is very suspicious...
 #1018509  by andre

FL9AC wrote:Damn maniac railbuffs...always looking for a new camera angle!! ;)

Damn beat me to it...

I was going to say Extream Foamage in Progress
 #1021524  by DutchRailnut

lets see: Sikorky in Stratford , and railroad a easy navigational aid.
lots of helicopters flying in for work to be done.
 #1021570  by Travelsonic

DutchRailnut wrote:lets see: Sikorky in Stratford , and railroad a easy navigational aid.
From the initial post, didn't sound like this would be the case given how it was allegedly [if the first post IS anything to go by] swooping down along at the aforementioned station stops, not to mention if it were getting "dangerously close" [SIC] to the catenary wires, short of anything pre-planned / authorized from the FAA so far as flight plans are concerned, wouldn't there be legal hell for the pilot?
 #1021796  by Train538

Travelsonic wrote:
DutchRailnut wrote:lets see: Sikorky in Stratford , and railroad a easy navigational aid.
From the initial post, didn't sound like this would be the case given how it was allegedly [if the first post IS anything to go by] swooping down along at the aforementioned station stops, not to mention if it were getting "dangerously close" [SIC] to the catenary wires, short of anything pre-planned / authorized from the FAA so far as flight plans are concerned, wouldn't there be legal hell for the pilot?
I honestly doubt Sikorsky would be testing their choppers that dangerously, Dutch ;-). But you do have a point regarding how the railroad is an easy navigational aid. It's very difficult to come to a conclusion, but most of the ideas mentioned so far sound quite realistic.