• FL9 F-10 Discussion: Metro-North / CtDOT / Amtrak

• This forum will be for issues that don't belong specifically to one NYC area transit agency, but several. For instance, intra-MTA proposals or MTA-wide issues, which may involve both Metro-North Railroad (MNRR) and the Long Island Railroad (LIRR). Other intra-agency examples: through running such as the now discontinued MNRR-NJT Meadowlands special. Topics which only concern one operating agency should remain in their respective forums.
This forum will be for issues that don't belong specifically to one NYC area transit agency, but several. For instance, intra-MTA proposals or MTA-wide issues, which may involve both Metro-North Railroad (MNRR) and the Long Island Railroad (LIRR). Other intra-agency examples: through running such as the now discontinued MNRR-NJT Meadowlands special. Topics which only concern one operating agency should remain in their respective forums.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by blockline4180

Noel Weaver wrote:I don't think they will work out too well as cab cars. Unpowered their ride will be awful to say the least. As I understand it the plan is to use them as diesel electric locomotives just as the builder intended. As I said earlier there are still a lot of unanswered questions but we are learning more and more.
Noel Weaver
Your posts are very optimistic to say the least.. Not that I doubt you, but hopefully they can get them operational in less then 3 months time.. Like Dutch said, do they have a Star Trek transporter to send Beech Grove to Albany??
  by Matt Johnson

90 mph max under ideal circumstances, 75 mph realistically according to Dutch - absolute junk that will kill the schedules.
  by CP4743

blockline4180 wrote:Your posts are very optimistic to say the least.. Not that I doubt you, but hopefully they can get them operational in less then 3 months time.. Like Dutch said, do they have a Star Trek transporter to send Beech Grove to Albany??
I am not aware of exactly what capabilities Rensselaer has. I thought they had quite a bit of capability. Specifically what does Rensselear lack vs Beech Grove. Is it labor skill or equipment?
  by DutchRailnut

Rensselaer does not do truck overhauls , they can change axle and traction motor.
Rensselaer does not do engine overhaul other than maybe a power assembly changeout.
Rensselaer is pretty much a component change out shop plus the inspections.
  by DutchRailnut

Matt Johnson wrote:90 mph max under ideal circumstances, 75 mph realistically according to Dutch - absolute junk that will kill the schedules.
in last 6 years the FL-9's were restricted to 75 mph due to changes in superelevation on most of Hudson line, no longer allowed to go 89 mph.
the quality of trucks did go down fast and ride was so awful and truck hunting and lateral would throw engineer from seat if exceeding 60/65 mph.
But the Arm chair railroaders say its all good, and believe they have the scoop.
  by Railjunkie

They have done complete prime mover replacement in Albany. The 706 was rebuilt from the ground up in the shop. Havent seen a new block up in the shop in awhile and havent heard of anything getting re motored.. When they come back from Macco they are put back in service within a day or two. Shop right now is heavy into PTC not only for Amtrak but Ive seen a few Con Dot cab cars up there also.
  by dowlingm

if this is happening then presumably other options were considered and are not simple, but I would have thought putting whatever AEM7s are still roadworthy in a cab role to free up 9600 series cabs (Shuttle and Keystone?) would be an easier deal than what seems to be necessary to put FL9s back in play.
  by NorthWest

What are the proposed dates that these might be used? I seem to have missed them.
  by Backshophoss

With the horrid weather along the East Coast,nothing set in stone yet,ConnDOT is reportedly doing Air brake work to allow towing the units to Albany.
also the prime movers were "barred over"to check for frozen pistons(turned by hand).
Give everybody a chance to dig out and clean up the damage,and get running again.
  by DogBert

If there is one thing this boards has taught me it's that experts and employees hear different stories, often false. I'll believe it when I see them go to the shop.

The only thing we 100% know to be true will need some kind of cab car/locomotive with a nose door, and that Amtrak will need to lease something from someone to accommodate the law.
  by DutchRailnut

here again, Rensselaer is component change out shop, yes they can change an engine, they do not overhaul them .
they can change a truck, but it will be overhauled elsewhere, ts a for sure thing the FL-9's need truck work , so shipping 12 trucks to Beechgrove by 18 wheeler.
and having to find parts and shop knowledge for EMD trucks it may take a bit longer.

as for CDOT doing airwork ?? its same people than currently cancel SLE trains cause they can't produce 5 working engine a day ?? nuff said.
  by Railjunkie

DogBert wrote:If there is one thing this boards has taught me it's that experts and employees hear different stories, often false. I'll believe it when I see them go to the shop.

The only thing we 100% know to be true will need some kind of cab car/locomotive with a nose door, and that Amtrak will need to lease something from someone to accommodate the law.

Two MARC cab cars arrived in Albany last night. Should be out and about on Saturday.
  by Gilbert B Norman

Mr. Junkie, how will YOU feel about operating a train from a cab car? I realize it's a case of "not all that many", but there are still some Grade X-ings along your Hudson Division.
  by DutchRailnut

Mr Norman over 27 000 push pull moves worldwide each day , and most at far higher speeds than 110 mph. and they have crossings in rest of world too.
its either cab cars or ride a bus , with same safety risk but many more road crossings. your choice, train or deluxe motor coach operations ?