Railroad Forums 

• FL9 F-10 Discussion: Metro-North / CtDOT / Amtrak

• This forum will be for issues that don't belong specifically to one NYC area transit agency, but several. For instance, intra-MTA proposals or MTA-wide issues, which may involve both Metro-North Railroad (MNRR) and the Long Island Railroad (LIRR). Other intra-agency examples: through running such as the now discontinued MNRR-NJT Meadowlands special. Topics which only concern one operating agency should remain in their respective forums.
This forum will be for issues that don't belong specifically to one NYC area transit agency, but several. For instance, intra-MTA proposals or MTA-wide issues, which may involve both Metro-North Railroad (MNRR) and the Long Island Railroad (LIRR). Other intra-agency examples: through running such as the now discontinued MNRR-NJT Meadowlands special. Topics which only concern one operating agency should remain in their respective forums.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

#1463026  by johnpbarlow

DutchRailnut wrote:no one is going to walk passengers trough engine room, squeezing by a greasy HEP unit and main engine, up stairs to cab then down ladder into nose, via a 2 x 4 door tripping over brake shoes and out another 3 x 5 door and climb down a coupler.
anyone suggesting such actions should get his/her head examined.
I wasn't suggesting this. Rather, I was just making an obvious observation that getting hundreds of passengers out of multiple cars via the rear door is a daunting task. At the risk of incurring further commentary, I do wonder why engineer can't exit the locomotive to the train to use the same exit as the passengers.
 #1463031  by Literalman

Reading between the lines, what I'm getting is this: the nose door is needed for the engineer to escape if there's a fire in the engine itself. If there's danger ahead and the train can't back out of it, the engineer can exit to the rear of the train with the passengers. Is that right?
 #1463050  by DutchRailnut

correct the P32acdm on MN has a nose hatch for engineer to escape, there is no rear door.

the Amtrak P32acdm has no rear door and no escape hatch .
 #1463083  by DutchRailnut

and GE's sure as hell know how to burn , besides sitting on top of 2000 gallons of diesel fuel with a third rail ignitor sure warrants some kind of security for engineer.
 #1464175  by Jeff Smith

Just a little refresh, and cross-post, between Metro-North and Amtrak Forums.

And while I'm at it, here's a link to an article on an Amtrak FL9: http://railfan.com/death-of-an-fl9/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1464813  by CP4743

Albany Times Union had an article yesterday with the following information...

Engineers and conductors are also being trained to travel the Metro North line into Grand Central.
Amtrak also is looking for spare FL-9 locomotives to lease or borrow because they have a door on the front through which an engineer could escape from if necessary. Two of the four tracks into Grand Central are in their own tunnels with not enough clearance to open the side door of the current locomotive fleet.
Another alternative is a cab car, where controls for the engineer would be in a cab at the front of a passenger coach, much like the motorman's cab in a subway train. The locomotive would be at the back of the train.

https://www.timesunion.com/business/art ... 743850.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1464824  by blockline4180

Yes.. A friend said the F's will be heading to Albany (for evaluation?) in the next two weeks or so and were inspected for movement.
Will be an interesting summer to say the least!
 #1464832  by DutchRailnut

with what they need, they better bring Beech Grove to Rensselaer, its getting late in game to get those turds fit for service.
 #1464868  by Noel Weaver

From my source the deal between New York and Connecticut to lease the FL-9's is close to signing by both parties. Soon after the FL-9's will be towed from New Haven to Rensselaer where the work will take place to restore them to service. He told me the shop at Rensselaer is fully equipped and prepared to do whatever is needed to restore these engines to service. He works out of Rensselaer and should know. Five of the six were barred over and all have had air brake work done on them to set them up for the tow. It is suspected that they will be towed from New Haven to Rensselaer via Springfield which I guess makes sense. Probably the cheapest and best way as it involves only one Amtrak crew and no Metro-North pilots or whatever. I have also heard that some cab cars from Maryland are going to be involved in this operation as well. There are still a lot of unanswered questions but we will probably learn and know more as time goes on.
Here is a link to more:

https://www.timesunion.com/business/art ... 743850.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Noel Weaver
 #1464934  by DogBert

Seems wise to only believe this when they are actually in the shop.

In terms of practicality, how hard would it be to fix up the old FL9s to operate essentially as cab cars? It doesn't sound like they're needed for actual tractive effort with a P32 on the other end of the train. What is actually needed, new controls in the cab akin to the cabbage F40s?

re: the Marc cars. Rumor last year was that LIRR would be getting 21 of these on lease this summer to meet demand for east end service. How does this factor into the amtrak situation? (this might be best in it's own thread?)
 #1464940  by Noel Weaver

I don't think they will work out too well as cab cars. Unpowered their ride will be awful to say the least. As I understand it the plan is to use them as diesel electric locomotives just as the builder intended. As I said earlier there are still a lot of unanswered questions but we are learning more and more.
Noel Weaver