Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

#909079  by Jeff Smith

Noel Weaver wrote:I have been following a and participating on railroaddotnet for quite a while and this is probably one of the MOST USEFUL topics to ever come up anywhere on here. Actual news of an actual event in time for anybody interested to get out and get some pictures or even just watch this interesting move. What a relief from some of the nonsense that gets posted.
Many thanks "Dutch" for the heads up and to all of the lucky ones who got to follow, photograph and post their photos here.
Again, sincere thanks to all.
Noel Weaver
Noel, you are absolutely correct. We have a pretty good bunch on this forum. When I say that, I don't mean to imply other forums don't; it's just different styles, both in posting and in moderation.

Great job to MNRR, Dutch, Rick A at HRRC, other employees not named here involved, and to all the railfans for getting some awesome shots of the non-fan move that turned into a fan move. It really makes me miss living up there.

As much as I wish there could be a fan trip, I think with maintenance issues on the line, and no bucks for fixing those issues, it won't happen for a while. Shame; now that Dutch and others are qualified again, you have a ready crew. Still, the necessity of this move can't hurt by drawing attention to getting the line back in shape.
 #909096  by DutchRailnut

Yes yesterday was first time BL20's ran on beacon line.
As for GCT they have been on every track many times
 #909102  by HBLR

How are repairs coming along? Also, thread name change to reflect the washout, vs high water which has since gone away?
 #909120  by Kurt

joetrain59 wrote:On the Trains Mag website, the newswire said they moved the stranded equipment out of Danbury via the Maybrook line. I have a girlfriend who lives up that way. I'm not that familiar with area rails. Is Maybrook line what parallels Mill Plain road? Goes by Rosy Tomorrows, then behind Agway, Stop and Shop, etc? This line runs to Brewster, right? It didn't look in such great shape when I took a close look last Summer, at tracks behind supermarket. Anyone have any pics of movement?
Thanks,
Joe D

Page 6 and 7 of this thread have some photos and a link to a video
 #909165  by DutchRailnut

The BL20's have no restrictions, Mncr does have a restriction on diesels in revenue service.
This move obviously whas not a revenue move.
 #909202  by theozno

Hi from amtrak's 55 with Mike at the helm :)
a Few quick questions.

how is mid day service being handled? full bus?
I have to get up there tomorrow to run my usual radio show on the college station.

in the event of severe flooding Is My monthly good from Stamford to white Plains on the I-bus, Train to Brewster and Bus to Danbury that way?
my car is currently enjoying a full tank of gas in Bellows Falls Vermont train station.
Last edited by theozno on Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #909265  by mgbcab

Was on site today, the pipes are in. A road is being built with a ballast crossing and a ramp to the other side.
Tilcon will start bringing riprap again tomorrow. Still have a long way to go.
 #909272  by pnaw10

theozno wrote:in the event of severe flooding Is My monthly good from Stamford to white Plains on the I-bus, Train to Brewster and Bus to Danbury that way?
I think you've been told at least a few times before -- questions like these really shouldn't be asked here because they can't officially be answered here. Your best bet is to go to mta.info or read the Metro North Facebook page... in both places, MTA has posted information about which services are cross-honoring tickets. I'm not saying anyone here would purposely give you bad information, but they could accidentally give you the wrong answer. Situations like these can also change at any time, so an answer that was right yesterday could be wrong today. If a question about policy can be answered by taking 1 minute to read the official site at mta.info that's better than taking 2 minutes of your time (and a few seconds of everyone else's time) asking an already-answered question here.
 #909294  by Amtrak7

pnaw10 wrote:I think you've been told at least a few times before -- questions like these really shouldn't be asked here because they can't officially be answered here. Your best bet is to go to mta.info or read the Metro North Facebook page... in both places, MTA has posted information about which services are cross-honoring tickets. I'm not saying anyone here would purposely give you bad information, but they could accidentally give you the wrong answer. Situations like these can also change at any time, so an answer that was right yesterday could be wrong today. If a question about policy can be answered by taking 1 minute to read the official site at mta.info that's better than taking 2 minutes of your time (and a few seconds of everyone else's time) asking an already-answered question here.
What's with this prohibition on discussing fare matters on RR.NET? Amtrak I understand, because the fares change all the time, but commuter fares don't change all too often. This isn't formally a policy either. (not mentioned in "rules" threads)

Anyway, it seems that all off-peak service is being handled by shuttle buses to South Norwalk. Most ridership on the Danbury Branch is from Danbury, there's no need for shuttle trains for off-peak. All through trains should probably be running to/from Branchville though.
 #909416  by DutchRailnut

Cause any fare questions answered here, are not binding and if different from official policy can get people in trouble.