Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

#907641  by DutchRailnut

MTA Service Notice

Danbury Branch train service will be suspended until further notice due to a severe water condition in the area of Bethel. At this time we suggest that Danbury customers use the main line New Haven or Harlem stations for alternate service.
 #907656  by theozno

I think were going to need a bigger boat!

photo taken after 6873 passed through on my ride home last night. We barely made it Through and it was photo worthy for driving up.

sorry about the Poor Quality. Pm your e-mail if you want the full picture R&R.net only allowed me up to 400K...
Attachments:
189468_525473745845_160400001_30849629_4520212_s.jpg
189468_525473745845_160400001_30849629_4520212_s.jpg (6.77 KiB) Viewed 3164 times
 #907663  by DutchRailnut

There is now a 125 foot x 30 foot deep washout at mp 19.5.
Branch may be shut down for a while.
 #907694  by Ridgefielder

DutchRailnut wrote:There is now a 125 foot x 30 foot deep washout at mp 19.5.
Branch may be shut down for a while.
Dutch- where is MP 19.5 relative to the street grid? Is it north or south of Greenwood Ave.?
 #907733  by MNCRR9000

Latest update from the MTA website.
Posted: 03/07/2011 11:02AM

MTA Service Notice

Substitute bus service will be provided until further notice for the entire Danbury Branch in both directions.
Since that first notice was posted at 6:03am I take it that the 2 mini-bombs and 2 maxibombs are stuck in the Danbury Yard?
 #907740  by Ridgefielder

DutchRailnut wrote:South, off route 53 at bethel highway dept.
OK, so just after the tracks cross 53 on the overpass if you're heading south. Is that the only washout? Wouldn't be surprised if there were more given that the line goes through a lot of low, swampy ground from there all the way to Topstone...
 #907741  by MNCRR9000

Ridgefielder wrote:
DutchRailnut wrote:South, off route 53 at bethel highway dept.
OK, so just after the tracks cross 53 on the overpass if you're heading south. Is that the only washout? Wouldn't be surprised if there were more given that the line goes through a lot of low, swampy ground from there all the way to Topstone...
I also wonder about parts further south where the line closely follows the Norwalk River.
 #907754  by MNCRR9000

I was just listening to my police scanner and the Redding PD Communications Center put out a notice saying that all of the Metro-North Trains are in service. I guess one of the Metro-North guys drove past one of the officers and mentioned that the trains are back in service.
 #907760  by DutchRailnut

There won't be service for several days, but maybe the Bethel police dept is in charge.
currently we are operating 7 buses and have 8 MTA buses on standby.
buses run between Danbury and wilton from where train service is provided.

http://www.mta.info/status/serviceStatus.html
Some stations like Reading and Branchvile are still unreachable cause roads like route 7 and 53 are still partially closed due to flooding.
3 maxibombs and two mini's are trapped in Danbury yard with no way out.
Beacon line has some washouts and Maybrook east is still out of service from Botsford to Derby.
 #907764  by MNCRR9000

DutchRailnut wrote:There won't be service for several days, but maybe the Bethel police dept is in charge.
currently we are operating 7 buses and have 8 MTA buses on standby.

http://www.mta.info/status/serviceStatus.html
Some stations like Reading and Branchvile are still unreachable cause roads like route 7 and 53 are still partially closed due to flooding.
Yeah I was a little skeptical when I heard them put out the notice that the branch was back in service considering that you mentioned that there was a 125 foot x 30 foot deep washout and that wouldn't take a short time to fix.
 #907767  by DutchRailnut

when you want railroad news you don't listen to police scanners.
Thats like asking for Porkchops at the drycleaners.
 #907771  by MNCRR9000

DutchRailnut wrote:when you want railroad news you don't listen to police scanners.
Thats like asking for Porkchops at the drycleaners.
Definitely true.

Just kind of makes you wonder since the officer mentioned that it was a MNRR worker that told him that the branch was back in service.

Does anybody have any pictures of the washout??