Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

#899253  by Jeff Smith

MNCRR9000 wrote:Story from WTNH News Channel 8 last night (February 9th).
Metro-North rail car repairs update

Updated: Wednesday, 09 Feb 2011, 7:16 PM EST
Published : Wednesday, 09 Feb 2011, 5:17 PM EST

As many as 140 cars are still out of service, and Metro-North could be short until next month, so we asked why not lease, rent, or borrow more reliable cars from other states in the MTA network, like New York or New Jersey. They're having a similar winter.

"They're being severely hit by this storm as well, and short cars. The other issue is that the infrastructure of the New Haven line is unique. And even if there were cars available, there's really a limited number of cars that we could borrow from somewhere else that would work," said Parker.
Link to the article: http://www.wtnh.com/dpp/news/new_haven_ ... irs-update
Many thanks for the continued updates to MNCRR9000. One point I'll make with this and Mr. Parker's comments on borrowing equipment; as noted here, there's a fleet of FL9's in NH along with excess SLE cars. They could be used in shuttle service to ferry passengers from outer areas to reduce travel distances for M2's, resulting in more trips. Or, they could be used on branches.

Yes, more crews, more money. But I would think even two or three train sets could make a difference running NH to Stamford.
 #899261  by redarrow5591

New Jersey Transit DO have spare ALP44's sitting at the MMC.

They also DO have 50 Comet III coaches and cab cars that all they need is a inspection and clean-up to run again

And there are still Metro North crews that ARE qualified on the equipment and equipment over the territory.

So why not?
 #899316  by MNCRR9000

redarrow5591 wrote:New Jersey Transit DO have spare ALP44's sitting at the MMC.

They also DO have 50 Comet III coaches and cab cars that all they need is a inspection and clean-up to run again

And there are still Metro North crews that ARE qualified on the equipment and equipment over the territory.

So why not?

The only problem with running the ALP44's is that they aren't able to operate into Grand Central so you could probably only go as far as say Pelham before you are out of catenary territory and the passengers would have to change trains.
 #899334  by MNCRR9000

Jeff Smith wrote:I'd say run them back and forth to New Rochelle, use M-2's as shuttles. Or Stamford.

Is it the 44's or the 46's that can run on the NH line catenary?
I believe that ALP46 can run on the New Haven Line Catenary. If I am not mistaken the ALP-44 can run on 11 kV 25 Hz AC while the ALP-46 can run on the following voltages: AC 25 kV/60 Hz, 12 kV/25 Hz, 12.5 kV/60 Hz.
 #899343  by Clean Cab

redarrow5591 wrote:New Jersey Transit DO have spare ALP44's sitting at the MMC.

So why not?

Do you know this for a fact? Even if there are spare engines and cars, MN wants to operate trains into GCT. There is already too much train traffic into Penn Station, so much so that some trains have to wait for an open track.
 #899347  by Jeff Smith

9000, that's what I thought, thanks.

Penn is not an option. NJT equipment obvoiusly isn't an option for GCT service, but it could run from New Rochelle east in revenue service. Of course, if it's the 46's, NJT isn't going to give them up in peak period when THEY need them.

The stored Comets might be an option; I'm not sure. Hook them up with the FL9s and run them as shuttles in CT and let the NYS allocated diesel fleet return to NYS. And yes, I know it's pool service, but as noted on here by Dutch I believe, CDOT did not adequately fund their diesel fleet.
 #899358  by RearOfSignal

All this speculation seems to be a moot point. MNR and CDOT let the EMU get into this sorry state of disrepair, so now we expect them to make a quick fix by acquiring, modifying and operating foreign equipment on the spot?

New Rochelle is crowded enough as it is with this new limited schedule and equipment shortages without having shuttle trains picking up and dropping off passengers from all the points east. Could you imagine what it would be like logistically if this did happen? It'd be a mess.
 #899384  by DutchRailnut

Amtrak runs at or near capacity, specially in rush hours that MNCR needs help.
NYP is not option as there simply is no slots and Amtrak won't let us in on weekdays.
As for ALP44's according to NJT they need a million dollar overhaul, as for the Comet cars NJT has storred they need at minimum a 3 year inspection and brake overhaul.
Keys are different, door panels are different and MNCR has no engines to pull them.
and no its not MNCR that let the MU's get in this shape, the experts declared the fleet overdue for replacement nearly 10 years ago but Connecticut residents voted and elected the local state idiot to govern.
Rowland ruined the state, had enough idiotic Idea's to last us 20 years.
If not for the Governor with balls aka Jody Rell there still would be no M-8's ordered.
I predicted 8 to 10 years for replacement, the M-8's were ordered in 2006. so were a few years ahead of the game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... Np0Usv93DY
 #899412  by Tommy Meehan

Yes I agree that putting Metro-North NH Line riders on the Amtrak NEC trains isn't feasible. Those Amfleet cars are not designed with standees in mind. It also wouldn't be fair to the passengers on Amtrak, most of whom are paying top dollar to ride. If they made a platform announcement that MNRR ticket holders could board an arriving Amtrak train to Penn Station those cars could get packed. Besides comfort, there'd probably be safety issues as well.

The idea about the NJT equipment doesn't sound very feasible either. We don't live in the Yukon, we're not facing an endless winter; some of these 'cures' sound worse than the disease. :)
 #899414  by Ken S.

The only other choice to get seats on the mainline would be to run buses on the other branches then or make some other arrangement with Amtrak to use the Keystone equipment to run extras from either NH or SLE territory to NYP then have the Keystone continue as scheduled.
 #899426  by Tommy Meehan

Back in '96 when a similar situation followed that year's blizzard, only on the former NYC lines, the riders who really took it on the chin were the reverse commuters. A guy at work was one of them and he was clocking in at 11 AM, three hours late. The agent at White Plains was giving them notes to take to work. The Boss was sympathetic....but also threatened to fire him if he couldn't figure out a way to get to work on time.

The problem was the railroad kept 'stealing' his morning train, deadheading the equipment right out of GCT and back north to run a southbound trip. Another morning they dumped everyone off at Mt. Vernon West because the MTA Chieftain (Virgil Conway?) was stranded at Bronxville. Got so bad they put 1100s on midday trains.

I know the NH Line has quite a few reverse commuters. I've ridden PM trains going south that were SRO by Port Chester. Anyone know how the reverse commuters are faring with the car shortage?