Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

#894698  by andre

Ridgefielder wrote:
H.F.Malone wrote:"Is there anything up on the Naugy that could be used..."

Um, you're kidding, right?? Yes, let's put commuters into 1923 coaches; there would be a revolt!
Hey they're in better shape than some of the M2s! :-D
maybe a few of the barcars we have at DRM would keep them from complaining about the age of the cars lmao ;-)

could MN/CDOT lease equipment from other commuter roads to cover services?
(even if its not capable of running into gct it could at the very least bring passengers as far as lets say stamford or even fordham where they could catch an MU from the harlem or a shuttle, before you all flame me for this one, i know it may be a dispatching nightmare)
 #894737  by brettj22

I figured that I should at least register my unhappiness with the current upper Harlem shuttle arrangement just in case someone decided to keep it that way. I received the following from customer service:
While we apologize for any inconvenience you may have experienced, both New York State and State of Connecticut New Haven Line customers have certainly experienced significant difficulty due to the storm damage to an already insufficient equipment fleet. There is no question the State of Connecticut went too long without procuring new equipment that the new M8 cars cannot come soon enough. Over 100 cars were damaged during the last two major storms, and the impact on all aspects of service has been significant. We are working around the clock to make repairs, while trying to maintain service as best we can during this severe weather as we await the release of the new cars. The M8 cars that we have received are going through a mandatory four thousand miles of testing. Some problems have arisen and been resolved, and the weather has played havoc with recent scheduled night tests. While we can provide no guaranteed date, we hope to put the first M8 cars in service sometime in the next two months.
 #894757  by Jeff Smith

Andre, good idea, I thought the same on previous page of thread but considered 125, 153, or even MtV East, using what SLE has in excess. Don't know what signalling issues they'd have.
 #894811  by Jtgshu

NJT has a whole fleet of Comet 3 coaches just sitting idle in Bay Head Yard - been out of service for more than a year, but still plenty of life left in them, just a lil dirty now.

NJT has ALP44s sitting/running at the MMC, being retired/stored since the arrival of the ALP46As.

Theres some cars and locos for you guys. Shuttle the running MU sets to GCT from a station, Xfer to the ALP set somewhere east of GCT.

Maybe NJT could work out a good deal and MN could give NJT a break the next time the big hook needs to be called :) hahaha
 #894862  by Jtgshu

MN crews were running ALP44s with the through Meadowlands trains. I don't know how many crews are familar with them, but there are a few at least.

The Comet 3s never made it up there, but they are very similar to the Bombardier cars you guys run up that way (built in 1990, so whatever model car that would equal for MN, Im not to familar with the models for your cars over there)
 #894895  by andre

brettj22 wrote:Are NJT ALP44's and Comet 3's able to run on the NH? (And how long would it take to get crews qualified on the equipment?) If they can, Malloy had better get Christie on the phone!
(all hypothetical) well there are a few scenarios that would be possible depending upon what type of equipment was leased:
IF cdot leased lets say an ALP44 with a set of coaches it would most likely run New Haven-New Rochelle where there would be a shuttle to take the passengers the rest of the way to grand central terminal. (this would make up the new haven-stamford run express to the city)
If they leased diesel sets those sets would be able to make the trip all the way from New Haven, Stamford, New Rochelle, Fordham or to where they would board an existing harlem line train or shuttle train for the rest of the trip. (these could start at new haven as express then run local beyond stamford to the city)
and if the leased equipment helps to offset the crunch the branches should be ok.
or if worse comes to worse theres always the museums with a good amount of coaches, diesels and RDC's ;-)
 #895028  by DutchRailnut

Connecticut people deserve what they got, the voted for certain people and bet on wrong horse.
I an glad finaly Governor Rell showed she had bigger balls than her predecesors.
Last edited by DutchRailnut on Fri Jan 28, 2011 5:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #895069  by brettj22

Unfortunately it's not just CT that's getting screwed now, with 3/4 Upper Harlem through trains gone and shuttle trains of only two cars, New Yorkers are also getting the business. Granted, its a small group, but it's the principle of the thing that has me ticked off...
 #895500  by Amtrak7

RearOfSignal wrote:Yes, it's that bad.
So that means no weekday schedule on Monday? If one can't even run a Saturday schedule, I don't think enough diesels are available to run the difference between Sunday and Weekday.