Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

#1121522  by SouthernRailway

There was a 3-car train parked at GCT today around track 28 or so, consisting of 3 streamlined cars and a standard MNR diesel (a P32?). I couldn't tell if the platform was blocked off, but there was a pretty good-sized crowd there, with a lot of people wearing name tags, and checkout lane-type dividers set up on the platform.

Was this some type of Metro-North holiday event?
 #1121523  by DutchRailnut

Yes its a moving holiday reception for Employees.
 #1122162  by Clean Cab

Gee, I won't be there to get my Xmas gift!! :(
 #1122228  by DutchRailnut

its for Employees only John, so they did not include a gift for you.
 #1165536  by FL9AC

Inspection train just left eastbound out of Stamford Platform with the 213 leading the 229 and the three inspection cars.
 #1165730  by Clean Cab

Inspection Trains are a waste of money. Railroad officials should ride regularly scheduled trains to see how the crews are interacting with the passengers and how well the trains are running. Providing a private train is very expensive and if any railroad wants to look fiscally responsible, they should not indulge in such a luxury.
 #1165868  by DutchRailnut

wow how opinions change when no longer on payroll ;-)
The inspection train is under utilized but improving, the benefits of inspection trains far outweigh the cost.
A new inspection train when finaly build can be inspection train, training train, geometry train, private train.
 #1165889  by Clean Cab

This is not a change of opinion. I've always thought inspection trains were an expensive way for the big shots to get out into the field. MN operates over 500 trains a day, and the taxpayers have to spring for thousands of extra dollars so they can have their own private ride? No wonder the MTA is always broke!!!
 #1165904  by bigK

RE:Clean Cab
Railroad officials should ride regularly scheduled trains to see how the crews are interacting with the passengers and how well the trains are running.
they do ... see the post and Newsday article excerpt about Howard Permut - MNRR pres.

http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopi ... 7&t=121476

in the Newsday article there is a pic of him at a station among the AM commuters on a sceduled revenue train - however he rode in the cab (a soutbound train)
 #1165912  by Clean Cab

bigK wrote:RE:Clean Cab
Railroad officials should ride regularly scheduled trains to see how the crews are interacting with the passengers and how well the trains are running.
they do ... see the post and Newsday article excerpt about Howard Permut - MNRR pres.

http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopi ... 7&t=121476

in the Newsday article there is a pic of him at a station among the AM commuters on a sceduled revenue train - however he rode in the cab (a soutbound train)
I was aware of this and that's why I so strongly advocate that inspection trains are unessecary and needlessly costly.
 #1165979  by DutchRailnut

The inspection train is a lot more than just a ride, they bring legislators and show them were improvements are needed.
They check out construction at locations a revenue train is not gone stop to let staff and politicians smooze. etc etc
Its simply not about the ride but what happens during that ride, no way staff could conduct business with passengers around.
 #1165998  by BobLI

Dutch,
just how costly can the inspection train be? Dont they take an engineer and conductor from a pool and assign them to the train for that day?
Whats the big deal that some of the posters are moaning about if they do that?
If you want the MTA to save money then get rid of all the deputy this and assistant that, etc.
 #1166078  by DutchRailnut

Correct the crew is 80% of time from Extra list and they get paid no matter what they do.
the other 20% of time its a crew on overtime, the benefits of inspection trains are there, even if we can not always see the reasons as outsiders.
right Clean cab ??
 #1166130  by Clean Cab

That's Mr. Clean Cab!!! :) Of course having trains to run is good for the train crews and I will admit that at times inspection trains can do some good and bring good PR. But too many times I saw the train doing another "what the heck" type of trip with low level officials on board riding a route that they've ridden many times before.