Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

#749592  by elec tech

Um, I don't have nor take from my job. Ever. Why bite the hand that feeds you. And I don't go on discussion boards to make friends. If you have a question, I'll try to give you an answer. Isn't that how this whole thing got started???

Even though Dutch's statements are usually true in anything that he answers, he's about as negative as a battery post.
 #749654  by madcrow

shadyjay wrote:
madcrow wrote:Does anyone know if there are plans to preserve any of the older M-series units? The MTA seems to do a pretty good job with preservation of subway equipment, but AFAIK, it seems that they don't do nearly as well with Metro-North and LIRR stuff...
I beg to differ, on the MNR aspect... there are numerous FL-9s which were donated to/acquired by museum groups and some operating throughout the region (Naugy in CT and Maine Eastern both operate FL9s). Danbury Rail Museum also got a pair of ACMUs and the old crane from GCT. I'm sure when the time comes that a pair will be saved.
Of course, they saved no M1s at and just last month they sold all their last old F10s for scrap. In short they seem to be pretty bad at preservation!
 #749712  by FL9AC

Even though Dutch's statements are usually true in anything that he answers, he's about as negative as a battery post.
I rarely see anything negative posted. Even the negative posts come with good reason either from experiencing it first hand or hearing about it from good sources. Like you said he's usually dead-on with his answers and his knowledge is astounding to be quite honest when it comes to the railroad.
Of course, they saved no M1s at and just last month they sold all their last old F10s for scrap. In short they seem to be pretty bad at preservation!
Last time I checked, Metro-North has been VERY gracious with donating equipment. As stated prior there have been numerous FL-9's that went to preservation groups. One FL-9 was repainted and donated to the Westchester Medical Center, and even a pair of ACMU's were saved. The extremely rare GCT double-ended crane (last one around) was also donated, The 605 (RS-3M), an SPV-2000 and a few other pieces were saved. Also, the oldest F10 #413 is still not stenciled for scrap nor is the NYC-painted 2012 so there is still hope for those two units if a buyer came out of the woodwork. I'm sure the same would have gone for a pair of M1's if any interest were shown by a preservation group.
 #749736  by R36 Combine Coach

I'm not sure if a M-1A would generate enough historical interest worth preservation. There's still the M-3s. LIRR has two sets left-4 cars out of 770.
 #749746  by Noel Weaver

Really, Metro-North is in operation to move people and not to save old equipment. I do not think the M-1's or M-2's have
any place in future preservation. They are too big and too heavy for the trolley museums, they need electricity in order to
run so that knocks out the Valley and RMNE except for static displays.
The State of Connecticut has already graciously donated a good number of FL-9's to verious museums and at least a couple
of them are able to run.
As for comments from "Dutch", I feel the same way much of the time, some of the comments on here and elsewhere border
on ridiculous so what would expect. The old saying "ask a foolish question and you'll get a foolish answer" governs here too.
We have seen things as foolish as building a trolley line in Beacon among others. Naturally, I don't always agree with "Dutch"
but we both get frustrated with some of the foolishness on these forums.
In closing this time I would like to wish everybody on here a very MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!!!!
Noel Weaver
 #757359  by JOEC

I agree with Patrick A. that M.T.A. Metro North Railroad should make available to those interested in obtaining collectibles not only from retired equipment, but items from other departments as well. unfortunately, the management of MNRR is not on the same page as the people of the N.Y.C.T.A. are. politely put in a request to those in power at MNRR if you can obtain what you are seeking. you have nothing to lose if you do so. in the future, should a museum request any further retired MNRR electric cars[m2,m3,etc], i like to believe MNRR would honor such request. a static display of electric traction is better than no display. this is what museums do.
 #758077  by MNR's #1 Conductor

Well, as of what I saw yesterday (01/11) and Friday, there is only 1 M-2 single car there. The bar car, #8665, has been taken away already off the spur.
 #758119  by FL9AC

I doubt it was taken far...most likely in the shop getting more parts removed. I'd assume they would scrap/ship both cars at the same time :wink: .
 #758132  by Ridgefielder

How do they ship cars out for scrapping? Do they remove the motors and trucks and load the carbody shell on a flat, or do they ship them on their own wheels?
 #758142  by FL9AC

That usually depends on the overall condition of the car and/or if the airbrakes and air valves are all up to date. So far the majority of M2's that have been scrapped have been loaded onto flatcars after all of the underframe equipment was torched off and the trucks removed. These cars were mostly from the boneyard in NH where they sat for years from fire/wreck damage, or were too costly to repair.
 #758291  by ATK

Yes, 8655 is currently sitting in front of Stamford shop on track 45. Its being used as a parts source.
 #758535  by MNR's #1 Conductor

FL9AC wrote:I doubt it was taken far...most likely in the shop getting more parts removed. I'd assume they would scrap/ship both cars at the same time :wink: .
I have not been inside Stamford Yard for a few weeks now, so I have no clue where it is. Maybe you could she more light!! ;-)
 #758538  by MNR's #1 Conductor

DutchRailnut wrote:
elec tech wrote:But on the other hand, I'm sure each of your cars are outfitted with mnr flashlights. :wink:
No not in least and am offended by the insinuation, I use LED flashlights bought with my money, I don't even use MNCR batteries
"I don't even use MNCR batteries" - Uhhhh, don't you mean Ray-o-vac's batteries??? ;-)
 #758841  by FL9AC

I have not been inside Stamford Yard for a few weeks now, so I have no clue where it is. Maybe you could she more light!!
Your guess is as good as mine...haven't been close to Stamford in about six months.
 #878886  by MNCRR9000

Found this article in the Connecticut Post newspaper from Yesterday December 7th.
With the first of the state's new Kawasaki M-8 rail cars expected in service within weeks, Metro-North Railroad and state transportation officials will soon choose a company to gradually scrap the state's aged fleet of 235 M-2 cars, officials said.

Metro-North plans to begin retiring the cars this winter, beginning with 89 that were not revamped as part of a $75 million Critical Systems Replacement program begun in 2004 to keep cars running past their expected 30- to 35-year life span, spokeswoman Marjorie Anders said. The first General Electric-built M-2s were delivered in 1973.

The pending contract will also include disposal of more than 250 worn out New York City subway cars, Anders said.

"We're in the process of reviewing proposals from companies interested in scrapping the old cars," she said. "We expect to award the contract in January and begin scrapping M-2 cars early next year."
http://www.ctpost.com/news/article/Next ... 866796.php