Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

#514530  by Clean Cab

That brings to number of M2s down to 237 from 244. Of the 237, barely 200 are running. And of the 200 that are still running, only about 170 are running at any one time. The rest are being cycled for scheduled inspections, running repairs, modification programs or are sidlined with exstensive damage.

The sudden urge to start scrapping the M2s that will never again turn a wheel is to start making room for the M8s.

#514559  by SubaruWRX

saw the 3 cars on the flatbed coming into stamford on the tracks under the bridge.. I wonder if that was the reason we left stamford left handed?

#514731  by FL9AC

shouldn't have anything to do with what track you were on. The three flatcars are sitting on the stub track under the I-95 overpass and wouldn't affect anything on the mainline.

#514749  by SubaruWRX

maybe not.. hard to see anything in the yard at 2:35 in the morning.

#529547  by RearOfSignal

Yesterday (Sunday, 4/27/08) there were some more cars(M-2's? car number plates had already been removed) being prepared for scrap -catenary & electrical equipment removed from roof -at Stamford Yard.

#529552  by FL9AC

correct, there are three M2 cars getting the roof humps removed, and absolutely all the underbody equipment removed in preparation for the cars to be secured on the 3 flat cars currently sitting under the I-95 bridge just east of Stamford yard. These cars are just the tip of the iceberg with rumors of about 40 cars getting scrapped.

#529595  by SubaruWRX

yeah I saw those cars on Friday in the yard.

#529941  by FL9AC

all three cars were taken off their trucks today and lifted onto the flatcars today.

#530146  by Clean Cab

M2s 8823, 8450 and 8426 have been stripped and loaded onto flat cars. That brings the number of surviving M2s to 234. More cars are scheduled to be scrapped within the next couple of months. Most do not have any body damage, but do have damage from either frame or structural defects. Some have fire damage. In all cases it just isn't worth repairing them with the M8s coming.
 #544420  by cpontani

Can any of these be diverted to Septa to run on the Airport line, since all stops except for Eastwick have high-level platforms? Or are they completely fried beyond repair? Are the electrical systems and/or signaling systems compatible?
 #544435  by DutchRailnut

The cars to be scrapped are done/caput/not economicly repairable.
 #748875  by CSX Conductor

I've meant to ask for months now, but keep forgetting. What is going on with the two old MU's @ Stamford, just east of the yard under the I-95 bridge. Yesterday I passed by and it looked like a BLG was about to tie onto them.
 #748947  by FL9AC

Those are condemned M2's waiting for the scrappers torch. Most likely the yard engine was bringing them into the shop in Stamford to strip more parts off them. They've been sitting there for quite some time now.
 #749119  by Clean Cab

Yes, one of them is a Bar Car. I think it is number 8665. I know the "A" car is #8814. Both have been set aside and are slowly being picked apart. Eventually they will be sent out for scrapping once the first batch of retired M2s join them in the next year or two.