Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

#885720  by Wayside Observer

Rich Green's fabulously detailed maps are much better than any railroad timetable. I have timetables from a few northeast railroads, but all are out of date.
 #885779  by RearOfSignal

Yeah it's great, but there are errors. The railroad runs according to the timetable, not track charts or maps. But it is a very visual way of seeing the railroad.
 #885866  by checkthedoorlight

I do strive to make everything as accurate as possible (and whenever possible, use the most recently available official documents as my source material), and do correct mistakes in revised updates (which unfortunately due to the way I generate these files, can only happen when the updates/additions are major enough that it's worth the 5+ hours of work it takes to paste all of the sections together - if anyone wants to sponsor a new release or custom made map, that's what the PM button is there for), but I must stress that my maps are all UNOFFICIAL and for information only, and are intended for railfans, not employees. I still think it's funny how my Shore Line map is still better than anything Amtrak's track engineering department has generated in the last 10 years (straight from the mouth of one of their employees!), but if they use it as a source document, that's at their own risk.....

Once I finish Norwich to the CT/MA state line on P&W and NECR, there will be a new release coming out for the entire state of CT.
 #886397  by Clean Cab

checkthedoorlight wrote:I do strive to make everything as accurate as possible (and whenever possible, use the most recently available official documents as my source material), and do correct mistakes in revised updates (which unfortunately due to the way I generate these files, can only happen when the updates/additions are major enough that it's worth the 5+ hours of work it takes to paste all of the sections together - if anyone wants to sponsor a new release or custom made map, that's what the PM button is there for), but I must stress that my maps are all UNOFFICIAL and for information only, and are intended for railfans, not employees. I still think it's funny how my Shore Line map is still better than anything Amtrak's track engineering department has generated in the last 10 years (straight from the mouth of one of their employees!), but if they use it as a source document, that's at their own risk.....

Once I finish Norwich to the CT/MA state line on P&W and NECR, there will be a new release coming out for the entire state of CT.

All the hard work you put into your maps is greatly appreciated. I know of quite a few MN employees who use your maps more than the ofiicially issued maps. Keep up the great work!!!
 #886501  by Trainer

Consider buying old timetables... they show up on eBay now and then. I have New York, New Haven, and Hartford Railroad Company No. 13 from 1961, and it's fascinating reading about the times between stops between Hartford and Waterbury, or between Springfield and Hazardville on the Armory line, and all the interesting little notes about where the toggle switches are hidden to manually turn on the crossing gate flashers in Providence. It's all decades out of date, of course, which makes the old timetables that much more interesting (and less of a risk) than current ones.
 #887833  by checkthedoorlight

Remember that when Conrail took over, they renamed all of the interlockings in MNRR territory to fit their scheme, and those names have stuck. So instead of CP 3, the old timetables will have NICK.

MNRR is going to continue to follow Conrail's scheme, as we will soon have CP400, CP401, CP407, CP408, CP412, CP413, CP420 (this is gonna be a popular one), CP421, CP423, and CP424.
 #888700  by Jersey_Mike

Remember that when Conrail took over, they renamed all of the interlockings in MNRR territory to fit their scheme, and those names have stuck. So instead of CP 3, the old timetables will have NICK.
I believe that was a Metro North decision. A Conrail produced map from the 1990s showing its trackage rights on MNRR used all of the old Penn Central interlocking names and I have a picture of NICK tower with the sign in Conrail blue. See Also, this photo inside the SoNo Tower Museum showing yet another Conrail Blue interlocking nameplate.
 #888816  by DutchRailnut

correct MNCR changed from named interlockings to cp*** in or about 1991