Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

#884758  by csxjs

Does anyone know where i can find a recent employee timetable and track chart for the metro north hudson line?
 #884769  by DutchRailnut

not anywhere unless your a MNCR or tenant railroad employee.
 #884794  by Amtrak7

Employee timetables can't be found anywhere unless you're an employee.

As for track charts, one can get it through the PTC plans, but it's difficult. Why? When MNR requested confidentiality, the government foolishly just covered it in the PDF file, without deleting it. If one can remove the black box, one gets the track diagram, but the file is password-protected to edit. I'm not sure how to reverse-engineer the file, I only know this because I saw the track diagram flash as I scrolled through the PDF, which means it's in there underneath the black covering.

The PTC plans reveal a lot of good stuff too that is not hidden, including NEC (Amtrak-owned) track diagrams and speed charts, a SEPTA RRD employee timetable, and pieces of the LIRR rule book.
 #885116  by checkthedoorlight

If you work for Amtrak and have the proper credentials, you can get access to the ETT's of any railroad Amtrak operates on, including MNRR. I'm still wondering why they have KCS and P&W in their database........

Where are these PTC files? I'm kind of curious as to what's in there, and am always up for a reverse engineering challenge....
 #885150  by Jersey_Mike

If the MNRR ETTs were ever converted to PDF you might get a private message sometime in the near future. If they weren't I do have paper copies that aren't too old. What exactly are you looking for?
 #885284  by csxjs

Nothing in particular, i was just curiois to look through one but i guess i wont unless they do go to pdf.
 #885324  by RearOfSignal

The timetable itself is more than just time train times. It's a list of stations along each line.(Stations in the ETT mean both passengers stations, CP's, Yards, etc) The ETT contains rules in effect, equipment restrictions, speed restrictions, grade crossing details, clearances and radio channels specific to each portion of the railroad. The track charts are an unofficial part of the ETT because of changes and even errors in printing.
 #885351  by checkthedoorlight

Employee Timetables (ETTs) often don't even include the schedules. LIRR and Amtrak's do, but MNRR has a separate book for the New Haven line, and another book for the Harlem & Hudson which just have the schedules (including the deadhead trains, list of scheduled connections, and what equipment turns to what). Strangely enough, SEPTA, to the best of the knowledge of me and some acquaintances of mine who actually for work for them, does not publish a stop by stop schedule for employees, but instead just has a route guide and the employees refer to the public schedules for stops and times. Of course, you can still find Thorndale/Paoli, Cwynwd, Newark/Wilmington/Airport, Trenton and Chestnut East schedules on the Amtrak employee schedule manuscript....
 #885363  by Amtrak7

checkthedoorlight wrote:Employee Timetables (ETTs) often don't even include the schedules. LIRR and Amtrak's do, but MNRR has a separate book for the New Haven line, and another book for the Harlem & Hudson which just have the schedules (including the deadhead trains, list of scheduled connections, and what equipment turns to what). Strangely enough, SEPTA, to the best of the knowledge of me and some acquaintances of mine who actually for work for them, does not publish a stop by stop schedule for employees, but instead just has a route guide and the employees refer to the public schedules for stops and times. Of course, you can still find Thorndale/Paoli, Cwynwd, Newark/Wilmington/Airport, Trenton and Chestnut East schedules on the Amtrak employee schedule manuscript....
Why would one find CHE schedules in an Amtrak TT? It doesn't run on Amtrak at all. Do you mean CHW?
 #885381  by csxjs

Otto Vondrak wrote:
csxjs wrote:Nothing in particular, i was just curiois to look through one but i guess i wont unless they do go to pdf.
Curious about what?
The information such as RearOfSignal stated
 #885523  by Otto Vondrak

csxjs wrote:
Otto Vondrak wrote:
csxjs wrote:Nothing in particular, i was just curiois to look through one but i guess i wont unless they do go to pdf.
Curious about what?
The information such as RearOfSignal stated
Get a job with the company, and all will be revealed! :-)