Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

#1005916  by SecaucusJunction

What work are you speaking of?
 #1007341  by MTASUPT

Track 1 between SF and Sterling was returned to service today and train 71 was the first revenue train to operate on it. During the week track will be taken OOS in the off peak for further work.
 #1007362  by railmason357

I believe it was funded for design, but not yet for work.
 #1007582  by SecaucusJunction

TDowling wrote:Train 71: The Woodbury Common's Shoppers special!!
Yes, too bad there isn't a station there. That is one place I always through an off peak/weekend station might work out well. The cab companies at Harriman must do well with this train though.
 #1007627  by R36 Combine Coach

There is a shuttle bus I recall between the station and outlets. ShortLine has the edge by having one-seat service from PABT though.
 #1007650  by Amtrak7

Now that 71 has been brought up, why does northbound service on the PJL start so late on weekends? I understand the weekdays, since there's a single track limitation.
R36 Combine Coach wrote:There is a shuttle bus I recall between the station and outlets.
Which doesn't run that frequently anyway. 2 roundtrips a weekend day.
 #1007740  by TDowling

I mentioned the possibility of an off-peak station at Woodbury Common years ago, but there were WAY too many problems that went along with it.

ShortLine I agree has an edge over the train b/c they provide one-seat ride service. The downside to it is that the bus fare is nearly DOUBLE the amount of the train fare ($40.00 round trip as opposed to the train's $21.75)

On a side note, the first dual-powered locomotive ever to use the PJL was pulling train 71 earlier today!
 #1007743  by Amtrak7

TDowling wrote:I mentioned the possibility of an off-peak station at Woodbury Common years ago, but there were WAY too many problems that went along with it.

ShortLine I agree has an edge over the train b/c they provide one-seat ride service. The downside to it is that the bus fare is nearly DOUBLE the amount of the train fare ($40.00 round trip as opposed to the train's $21.75)

On a side note, the first dual-powered locomotive ever to use the PJL was pulling train 71 earlier today!
An ALP45DP? Are you sure it wasn't a test train?!?!?
 #1007750  by TDowling

I'm pretty sure it wasn't because I saw it between Sloatsburg and Suffern (I think at Sterling) at or about 10 after 10, which is about the time the revenue train should be there.

I actually was on the bus traveling south on rte.17, so I didn't get the best view of it, but I am about 80% sure it was an alp45dp pulling a geep and five coaches. Maybe someone else can confirm or deny this....?
 #1007796  by railmason357

It was the 4914 pulling a GP and 5 coaches...see that, you should have been on the train, not the bus! Offers better views!
 #1007814  by R36 Combine Coach

TDowling wrote:ShortLine I agree has an edge over the train b/c they provide one-seat ride service. The downside to it is that the bus fare is nearly DOUBLE the amount of the train fare ($40.00 round trip as opposed to the train's $21.75)

It's $42 roundtrip now, no senior discounts or commuter passes accepted.
 #1007831  by SecaucusJunction

Wow. That's some difference. Metro North does a pretty good job at day trip destination stations. If they could find a way to build a station with no parking facility, I still don't see why they couldn't get a lot of ridership. Woodbury Commons is world famous. It is a very popular place for tourists from many Asian countries.