Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

#60705  by kozasoze

I visited the Beacon line on Monday. I noticed that there was some new gravel put down along Ice Pond, and eight gravel cars parked near the Harlem Line interchange. Anyone know what the work is for? Any plans or upcoming trips on the Beacon?
-Jon

#60763  by Otto Vondrak

Just part of regular maintenance on the line... MN owns and operates the Beacon Line, even though there are no regularly scheduled trains.

-otto-
 #73100  by Maybrook fan

At about 1:00 am tues 11-30 a west bound unit of some kind stopped and blew horns for the Holmes Rd crossing. Was wondering if anyone knew what the move was. Traffic through here is so rare anymore that I can't help but get exited when something passes along. :)

#73147  by DutchRailnut

HRRC picked up a oversized load at Beacon for Central Hudson.
A Transformer for Hopewell Jct Area, what you heard were light engines heading for Beacon.

#73525  by Dieter

Perhaps he was blowing for a bear on the crossing! :-D

#73548  by roee

Did anyone get pictures of this move? I guess it was pretty late, but..

Eric
 #114205  by hoharold

Passing the grade crossing of NY Rt. 82 on Tuesday at 10:30 am I saw a crew working on the crossing warning lights. Is this a good sign. Tracks are still VERY rusty though!

#114324  by DutchRailnut

No all crossing equipment is to be removed, making Beacon line permanently Stop and warn ??
yup thats what they call it in the new rulebook for dummies.
The new rules took effect 03/03/05

#114548  by Otto Vondrak

I think Dutch meant "Stop and Protect."

Since movements are so infrequent on the Beacon Line, there really doesnt seem to be a reason to maintain all the grade crossing circuits. I remember the last time I saw the inspection train run on the Beacon Line, MTA Police advanced each crossing and acted as flagmen so the train could stay on schedule.

-otto-
Last edited by Otto Vondrak on Thu Apr 07, 2005 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#114551  by DutchRailnut

no thats not what I ment, In New Timetable the term is Stop and warn.

#114567  by NJD8598

On the Beacon Line trip in September MTA police blocked just about every crossing, many still had lights in place but they didnt seem to work. There were gates and lights at one or two crossings right near Danbury station if I remember correctly.

#114599  by DutchRailnut

The gates and lights have been off since Conrail left. under FRA rules unless a circuit is traveled at least 2 times a week with x amount of axles its considered rusty rail and can not be depended on.
So even if the stuff were on it would still not be working and if it did it can not be depended on to work while a train is passing.

#114660  by nysw3636

I'm down visiting family this week and noticed the same thing this morning. All that is left is crossbucks and bell at Rt. 82 and Rt. 376 in Hopewell Junction, plus the same at Rt.216 and Old Rt. 52 in Stormville. Why the removal after all these years?? And why the Loram train in Hopewell Yard??

ASD

#116566  by Dieter

This is certainly a major step BACKWARDS.

I thought there was a movement afoot to put bells and lights (if not gates) at every crossing in New York State.

Where's Operation Lifesaver when you need it? :(

Dieter.

#116568  by roee

I agree it's a step backwards for the Beacon line, but why have the equipment there if it's not usable since it donen't recieve the traffic needed to keep it in the FRA standards. Plus, this equipment could be used on other crossings that recieve traffic.