Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

#886461  by DutchRailnut

how is LIRR in picture ??
they got no say in this operation.
 #886477  by DutchRailnut

TS since you have no credible ridership numbers its fair to say that those crew members that operated those trains have better info than you.
I know for fact Clean cab has been crew member on a fair amount of these trains, and Conductors have backed the same lackluster ridership numbers.
So why are you trying to start controversy, this is not subchat.
 #886497  by Terrapin Station

DutchRailnut wrote:TS since you have no credible ridership numbers its fair to say that those crew members that operated those trains have better info than you.
I know for fact Clean cab has been crew member on a fair amount of these trains, and Conductors have backed the same lackluster ridership numbers.
So why are you trying to start controversy, this is not subchat.
So what if he "knows" how many riders there were on one or two of the trains? Is he privy to how many riders are needed to make the service "successful"??

And who are you to say that I don't have credible ridership numbers? Why are you starting trouble?
 #886545  by Terrapin Station

Jeff Smith wrote:I believe the 4th would be LIRR; although it wasn't a one-seat ride, I think they did joint ticketing for the ALP46's coming from the NH Line.
No, the LIRR did joint ticketing for any and all NJT trains between NYP and SEC and SEC and MEADOWLANDS.
 #886548  by Jeff Smith

Which, if true, would include the NH line trains.

In any case, I imagine that LIRR being a joint tenant of NYP would involve coordination with them, whether or not the joint ticketing was limited to the NH line trains, or extended to all NJT trains.

I would also guess that the joint ticketing for the NJT trains included those riding the Harlem and Hudson?
 #886551  by Terrapin Station

Jeff Smith wrote:Which, if true, would include the NH line trains.

In any case, I imagine that LIRR being a joint tenant of NYP would involve coordination with them, whether or not the joint ticketing was limited to the NH line trains, or extended to all NJT trains.

I would also guess that the joint ticketing for the NJT trains included those riding the Harlem and Hudson?
Yes, it included the NH Line train, because west of NYP, that train was a normal NJT train, so it was included in my statement.

The single-ticket / thru-ticketing was in affect for both LIRR and MNCR customers if they so chose to make use of it.
 #886589  by Tommy Meehan

Terrapin Station wrote:The single-ticket / thru-ticketing was in affect for both LIRR and MNCR customers if they so chose to make use of it.
How would the LIRR riders make joint use of it? You lost me.

One way I can see where LIRR would be involved is that IIRC the track between Penn Station and Harold has always been under LIRR jurisdiction.
 #886602  by Terrapin Station

Tommy Meehan wrote:
Terrapin Station wrote:The single-ticket / thru-ticketing was in affect for both LIRR and MNCR customers if they so chose to make use of it.
How would the LIRR riders make joint use of it? You lost me.

One way I can see where LIRR would be involved is that IIRC the track between Penn Station and Harold has always been under LIRR jurisdiction.
Dang, I meant to say "effect".

Anyhow, LIRR riders could purchase a ticket out in, for example, Jamaica (or any station they want) that would be good for travel from, in this example, Jamaica to the Meadowlands Sports Complex and return. They would retain their ticket after having it punched on the LIRR, would then show it to the conductor on the NJT train out of NYP and still hold on to it, then finally show it to an employee at a gate at SEC so they could be let through the turnstile array and head over to the shuttle train. Thus they used a single ticket to ride from LIRR territory to the Meadowlands Sports Complex station.
 #886727  by Clean Cab

DutchRailnut wrote:how is LIRR in picture ??
they got no say in this operation.
LIRR provided trains that operated from Penn Station to Harold Interlocking that MN crews rode on (using M7s) for the purpose of learning the area. LIRR also provided instructors that gave tours of the yards in Penn Station.
 #886943  by Jeff Smith

Apparently, no one has told the Wall Street Journal about the train's demise:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142 ... Collection
The demise of the tunnel has left railroad officials scrambling to find other, smaller improvements. Every time the Jets or Giants play an afternoon game at the Meadowlands, a special NJ Transit train runs along Metro-North's New Haven line, through Penn and on to New Jersey. That's not about football, said the MTA's planning director, William Wheeler. The MTA is investigating whether it can run trains through Penn and into New Jersey, shaving precious minutes off the amount of time each spends on a platform, freeing up some capacity. It's also looking at running some Metro-North trains into Penn once a project to provide LIRR access into Grand Central Terminal is finished.