Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

#883237  by Tommy Meehan

I think the requirement to change trains at Secaucus Jct. also discouraged people from riding it, or at least trying it. I know some of the posters on the old thread did not agree with that, they said it was an easy transfer.

That may be true but honestly, when I mentioned the service to the several people I know who attend games they were interested. Until I mentioned, "You do have to change trains." Two said, 'Forget it.' The other one said that was no problem and that person has used it regularly! :)

I wish MTA or NJ Transit could've gotten either the Meadowlands Authority, the Giants and Jets or all three to help fund it. Promote it on the scoreboard during games.

It's like when you have a new service you have to drill it into peoples' heads to make them aware of it. Think Homer Simpson.

Jeff both teams are on the road this weekend. The Jets play Buffalo at home on Jan 2nd but I'm not sure of the time.

[Quick edit] The Bills-Jets is at 1 PM on 1/2/11. Guess that'll be it. :(
 #883243  by Steamboat Willie

Speaking of lack of advertising, Yankee Stadium service was advertised on the score board in the stadium as well as frequent ads on 880am. Meadowlands service hasn't enjoyed the same promotion, although advertisements onboard trains were done.
 #883252  by Jeff Smith

Although a bit OT, I wonder if they should add a "great commuter line race" to the big screen at Yankee Stadium to go along with the totally bogus "great subway race" they have between innings. Let the "green" (yes, the trains are blue), blue, and red lines race to the 153rd St. Station.....

Sorry. Back to your regularly scheduled topic.....
 #883277  by Otto Vondrak

MNCRR9000 wrote:I definietly agree that they need better publicity. Talking with friends and family most of them didn't even know that the service existed. Also listening to 660 WFAN I haven't heard any commercials regarding the Meadowlands Service. If they publicize the heck out of the service than I ideally the ridership should go up.
I keep hearing this line in some radio commercials...

"You can take the train right to the new stadium!!"

Okay... How? Who's train? What train?

Likewise, the posters on the Metro-North trains make it look and sound difficult. It should just say:

"TAKE THE TRAIN TO THE GAME
Now you can ride from certain stations on the New Haven Line directly to the New Giants Stadium for 1:00 home games. Visit http://www.mta.info/whatever for more information." - Then you could list the New Haven Line stations the train stops at down the side...

A half-hearted campaign, no front office support, this train is going away.

-ott-o
 #883309  by Terrapin Station

Clean Cab wrote:My personal opinion is that football fans aren't really train riders. Most football fans like to drive their cars to the games and participate in tail gating parties.
You don't need to drive your car to the game in order to participate in tail gating parties. You can meet up with someone else who brought their car.

And could you provide the low ridership numbers you mentioned here: http://railroad.net/forums/viewtopic.ph ... 77#p882477
 #883370  by Jeff Smith

Otto Vondrak wrote:Visit http://www.mta.info/whatever for more information."
(I'm going to have some fun with my newly-freed former site-admin buddy here.)

Gee, Otto, I went to that link and it was gone? WHATEVER!

;-)

Still, the points are absolutely correct. I think the Yankee service is a success because it serves all three lines in an area relatively close to the Yankees' market. It also got a lot of press, and word-of-mouth was good.

The Meadowlands, though, had no push whatsoever, was only for games at 1pm so it wasn't consistent service to all games no matter the time, and really didn't serve the market of most fans.
 #883747  by DutchRailnut

nope only two year experiment, costing taxpayers more than they bargained for....
 #883880  by L'mont

DutchRailnut wrote:nope only two year experiment, costing taxpayers more than they bargained for....
Shame to to so poorly push this service. Forget ease of access to the Giants Stadium for New Yorkers......it was more impressive to see some regional railroad interoperability. We, as a country, lag so far behind Europe and some parts of Asia. It was nice to see single seat rail access in new places. I take it that Jan. 2nd will be the last run? Might have to insure I get a ride, at least as far as Penn.
 #886387  by Otto Vondrak

Train2009 wrote:Saw the last run this morning in Stamford, CT it had ML Cab Car #7016 leading and pushing was ALP46 #4609.
Photographed Train 3137 at COB bridge this morning in the fog (I hope it turns out as good as it looked in my viewfinder), and then raced down to the Bronx to get it crossing Pelham Bay Draw. It was fun while it lasted!

-otto-
 #886396  by Clean Cab

An interesting experiment involving 4 railroads. Too bad the riders weren't there to keep this going.
 #886457  by Amtrak7

Clean Cab wrote:An interesting experiment involving 4 railroads. Too bad the riders weren't there to keep this going.
4? Amtrak, NJT, MNR, and ???