Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

#787658  by Clean Cab

Starting in early April, the NJT/MNR football trains will start running on weekends to allow those MN crews who qualified from CP 216 to Penn Station a chance to refamiliarize themselves with the equpiment and territory and renew their quailifications. The trains will only operate from Penn Station to New Rochelle.
 #787915  by Nasadowsk

Otto Vondrak wrote:You mean the qaulification runs will only go to New Rochelle, or the regular service will only go to New Rochelle?

-otto-

I'd imagine just the requal trains - I'd imagine the crews know the New Haven line already ;)
 #787944  by Noel Weaver

This is all the more reason that I think this operation is a waste of money when they do not have the money to do the
necessary imporovements in Connecticut and they have been talking about cuts in existing service. Worry about football
trains and the hell with the regular passengers, doesn't make sense to me.
Noel Wever
 #787977  by Clean Cab

Only the "Training Trains" will operate only between Penn Station and New Rochelle. Once the football season begins, one train will run from New Haven to Penn Station In the morning making the same stops as last season and one train will run from Penn Station to New Haven in the afternoon/evening also making the same stops as last season.
 #787993  by Otto Vondrak

Noel Weaver wrote:This is all the more reason that I think this operation is a waste of money when they do not have the money to do the necessary imporovements in Connecticut and they have been talking about cuts in existing service...
I'm fairly certain these trains are paid for out of a separate budget, and cutting them won't help CDOT's bottom line. I could be wrong, I thought we mentioned this elsewhere.
 #788047  by Steamboat Willie

This is just my opinion, but I feel this all has a deeper meaning. The football service is just scratching the surface. The deeper meaning is to leave the door open to have guys qualified into NYP for the sake of thru service or equipment moves. A few guys who came from Amtrak that hired out in engine service, one is being groomed to be a road foreman and the other to be a D/SLE.

I think this will be the last year they run football service, but they will continue to have guys qualified on that leg of territory. That's where my money is on currently.
 #788591  by Clean Cab

These trains were fully funded for two years in 2009, so cutting back on the number of trains instead of eliminating all trains makes more sence. I agree with those that have said that this program is a way to get MN crews qualified into Penn Station. This way in a few years M8 trains can start operating the long hoped for "one seat" ride from New Haven/Old Saybrook to Penn Station.
 #788624  by andegold

Are there any Amtrak regionals that originate in New York and only go as far as New Haven? Could MN/CDOT take over slots to Penn from the East similar to the way NJT took over the Clocker slots?
 #788632  by Noel Weaver

To answer the last two questions first there is a one seat ride available from New London, Old Saybrook and New Haven to
and from Penn Station and beyond, it is called AMTRAK.
Second there are no Amtrak trains west of New Haven that either originate or terminate in New Haven.
Noel Weaver
 #788642  by andegold

Noel, there is a one seat ride for commuters from Hew haven and beyond and yes, that is the market I was addressing based on where this thread is going, however, the concept of the football train is for a one seat ride to Seacaucus Transfer and later one-seat to the stadium itself. Amtrak does not, should not, and liekly never will stop at Secaucus and I am fairly certain will never, under any circumstances other than a superbowl charter, travel the loop to the stadium.
 #788732  by Clean Cab

Noel Weaver wrote:To answer the last two questions first there is a one seat ride available from New London, Old Saybrook and New Haven to
and from Penn Station and beyond, it is called AMTRAK.
Second there are no Amtrak trains west of New Haven that either originate or terminate in New Haven.
Noel Weaver
That may be true. But how many Amtrak trains make stops at Westport, Fairfield, South Norwalk and so on?
 #789638  by R36 Combine Coach

andegold wrote:Are there any Amtrak regionals that originate in New York and only go as far as New Haven? Could MN/CDOT take over slots to Penn from the East similar to the way NJT took over the Clocker slots?
No, all Regionals originate and terminate at Washington Union Station (except one at 30 Street).
 #789754  by checkthedoorlight

A179, A2190, A2193 are BOS-NYP only. A179 needs to have its engine run around the train at NYP and then go to SSY via Line 2 & Sub 1 (and then have the engine run around the train a second time once in SSY) in order to get the train oriented correctly again. I never got why they don't just leave it in NYP overnight to have it run as the next morning's A111.......(once in SSY, A179 normally turns to A185)

Before NHV-BOS was energized, it was more common for Amtrak trains to terminate in New Haven.

Keep in mind that due to MNRR's non-competition rules, a NYP-NHV train would only serve a very small market (those going to/from NYP from stops along the New Haven line) and unless it was meeting a Springfield shuttle in New Haven, would have very low ridership.
 #791242  by Clean Cab

Trains start rolling tomorrow (4/3)!! The weather will be great, so get out and snap a few pictures.