Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

#1092409  by RearOfSignal

MNR has been working on the bridge almost every weekend lately. If one of the spans does open for testing it's usually very early Sunday morning when rail traffic is lightest. Or MNR will open a particular span in conjunction with other weekend track maintainence around CP 5 since those tracks will be out.
 #1096376  by gregorygrice

Ironically the bridge went up this past Saturday at about 7:15PM (I don't know why). Also I've been noticing a lot of tie work being done on the bridge these past weekends. Stupid question, but I see there are replacing the wood ties with more wood. Why not concrete?
 #1096392  by DutchRailnut

how would you secure concrete to steel bridge girder and the concrete would trow off the bridge weight ballance with counter weights.
the reason the ties needed replacemet was because of recent tie fires.
 #1096456  by RearOfSignal

gregorygrice wrote:Ironically the bridge went up this past Saturday at about 7:15PM (I don't know why). Also I've been noticing a lot of tie work being done on the bridge these past weekends. Stupid question, but I see there are replacing the wood ties with more wood. Why not concrete?
Where have you ever seen concrete bridge ties on an open deck bridge? Especially a moveable bridge?
 #1096463  by gregorygrice

DutchRailnut wrote:how would you secure concrete to steel bridge girder and the concrete would trow off the bridge weight ballance with counter weights.
the reason the ties needed replacemet was because of recent tie fires.
The reason I asked is because I recently got one of the old copies of the "On Track" magazine and say an article on concrete ties in there. There was also a photo of a CN tie machine laying concrete ties on one of the bridges on the Harlem Line. Ill try and scan the photo later.
 #1096507  by DutchRailnut

betya its a ballasted concrete bridge, not a steel girder, and it does not open.
 #1303135  by Tommy Meehan

The four-track bridge over the Harlem River at Park Avenue and E. 132nd Street is getting a major rehab according to this New York Times article:
The bridge is getting considerably more than a face-lift — a top-to-bottom overhaul that has a price tag of $47.2 million and involves installing new cables to raise and lower the 340-foot-long track sections. Also scheduled are a new electrical control system, new wiring and new power-supply equipment for the third rail on the tracks.
Back in 2010, for the one and only time in over fifty years of riding, was I on a train that was halted due to the bridge being raised. It was a mid-evening train on a Saturday night that was halted after leaving 125th Street because the bridge was being raised. This was when the City of New York was replacing the nearby Willis Avenue Bridge (1st Avenue). We were stopped so tugs with heavily laden barges bearing bridge components could pass through. The train crew explained that normally we would've been held at 125th Street except the RTC had been trying to get us through first. The crew said they were told that because of the way the tides were running it would have been hazardous to require the tugs to try and stop. So we stopped!

On several mornings back in the 1990s I was delayed a couple of times out of Grand Central for a test opening of the bridge. They were announcing in GCT that the bridge had to be test raised once a month. They used to do it after the AM rush around 10 AM.
 #1303147  by shlustig

When I worked on the then Metropolitan Region way back when, I was covering the TM assignment at E. 125th St. during the evening rush hour and received a call from the Chief Dispatcher (Mike Barletta) that DB would open for a NYFD Fireboat. At the appointed time, the bridge was raised in advance of the fireboat's arrival so that it would not have to stop. The bridge remained up, and the fireboat did not arrive as the next bridge malfunctioned and blocked it.

DB remained up for 20"-30", and we had 3 tracks of trains stopped all the way back into the Park Ave. Tunnel, and the 4th track (inbound, #2) empty account nothing could get by E. 138th St. It really screwed up the rush hour, especially since the inbound trains were delayed in making their assigned turns outbound.
 #1303155  by DutchRailnut

other than testing, it hardly gets opened, it needs to be working however so cranes etc can be brought in to maintain other nyc bridges on that waterway.
 #1303160  by zerovanity59

DutchRailnut wrote:other than testing, it hardly gets opened, it needs to be working however so cranes etc can be brought in to maintain other nyc bridges on that waterway.
Let me get this straight, the bridges on the Harlem river need to be able to open so that the other bridges can get maintenance so that they can open so that other bridges can be maintained. It sounds like the bridges need to open for each other and not for real water traffic. The fireboat however sounds like a legitimate opening, although if there was an emergency I doubt they could make it in time because one bridge or another is always broken.
 #1303161  by F-line to Dudley via Park

zerovanity59 wrote:
DutchRailnut wrote:other than testing, it hardly gets opened, it needs to be working however so cranes etc can be brought in to maintain other nyc bridges on that waterway.
Let me get this straight, the bridges on the Harlem river need to be able to open so that the other bridges can get maintenance so that they can open so that other bridges can be maintained. It sounds like the bridges need to open for each other and not for real water traffic. The fireboat however sounds like a legitimate opening, although if there was an emergency I doubt they could make it in time because one bridge or another is always broken.
There's a fair amount of boat landings upstream and barge traffic downstream. It's that midsection of the river that's pretty much dead.
 #1303164  by DutchRailnut

it does not matter if you get it right or not, mn has petitioned coast guard to make it permanent structure and answer is no.
be it for today's needs, tomorrows needs, or defense needs, the answer is and will be no.