Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

#837118  by DutchRailnut

Steamboat Willie wrote:Because the bomb trains can seat more people. For a train that is only making 3 stops, using a bomb train would be an option.
Bomb trains do not seat more people, only if consisting of end door cars only.
Bomb trains are restricted to 7 cars max and if centerdoor hold only about 100 people per car.
meanwhile M-2/4/6 series trains can be run with a max of 12 cars and a average of 116 per car unless there is a bar car in consist.
 #837122  by 7express

Steamboat Willie wrote:Because the bomb trains can seat more people. For a train that is only making 3 stops, using a bomb train would be an option.

I thought the ones with center doors sat less people then the MU's, but the ones with only rear end doors sat more??

I know every once in a while the New Haven > Bridgeport > 125th > Grand Central shoppers specials will be a bomb run. Doesn't happen often, but the first time I took one of those run, it was a maxibomb. Thats why I was asking. If they had a bomb trrain in New Haven that had to go to Highbridge for whatever reason, would probably be a good train to run it down there. I'm more then likely going to take it tonight, so I'll let you know what it was when I get back.
 #843145  by The Interloafer

Nice!

Yankee Stadium train is a grand slam for fans
The Times Herald-Record wrote:One train ride to Yankee Stadium was all it took to turn Pete Dross into a believer.

"I love the train," Dross said. "I can sit back and relax —really enjoy myself — which I certainly can't do when I drive."

What makes the Village of Florida man's conversion noteworthy is that until last year, Dross, a 66-year-old career ShopRite employee, had never been on a train. . . .

In June, the first month when a year-over-year comparison was possible, about 44,500 fans took the train to the game — a whopping 45 percent increase. . . .

And, yes, there were two more games this June than last, but Metro-North is still registering significantly higher average ridership for the season to date — 3,219 for weekday games and 3,819 for weekend ones. Not bad for a year-old service to a 51,800-seat stadium, where attendance is usually in the mid-40,000s. . . .
Congrats to all involved in the construction, maintenance and operation of this station and the service to it. Converting new people to Metro-North is reason enough to be proud.
 #843197  by Tommy Meehan

I must say, riding northbound Hudson Line locals with a lot of Yankee fans on board, I really do hear a lot of positive comments.

Couple weeks ago three guys headed from GCT to the game sitting across from me. As the train departed GCT the guy who had apparently talked the others into riding Metro-North said, "Now isn't this a lot better?" One of his friends laughed and replied, "No comparision."
 #1030004  by Jeff Smith

Planning my opening day trip for April 13th. What's the status of game day service? We didn't talk about this for 2011, so I'm not sure what was in place last year. Is there still direct New Haven service during off-peak hours? There's nothing up on the web-site as of yet.
 #1030042  by RearOfSignal

Once they post the new timetables for April 1st the Yankee Schedules should be out. There is direct service on all 3 lines except for weeknights going to the game.
 #1033317  by Jeff Smith

http://www.mta.info/news/stories/?story=625

News Release
The Yankees return to the Bronx on Friday, April 13, for the 2012 home opener against the Los Angeles Angels. And Metro-North Railroad is back for its fourth year of train service to Yankee Stadium!

With gas prices at nearly $4 a gallon and game day parking fees starting at $35, there's never been a better time to try Metro-North Railroad's special game-day service to the Yankees-E. 153rd Street Station, a short walk from the stadium. Kids aged 5 to 11 ride for just 75¢ each to any game, and commuters who hold monthly or weekly tickets to Grand Central Terminal or Harlem-125th Street can use those tickets to reach the stadium at no additional charge.

"Baseball fans love our service, and once you try it, you will too," said Metro-North Railroad President Howard Permut.

Metro-North serves the Yankees-E. 153rd Street Station 365 days a year with local Bronx service on the Hudson Line, But on game days – and game nights – the railroad offers special service for fans. All weekend and weeknight games are served by special "Yankee Clipper" trains that offer direct service to the stadium from as far away as New Haven, Southeast and Poughkeepsie.

Schedules provide service before, during and after the game—from well before the first pitch to well after the last out.

For weekday afternoon games, including the home opener, the railroad offers extra service on the Hudson Line. Fans from the New Haven and Harlem Lines can use regularly scheduled trains and transfer at Harlem-125th Street for the short shuttle ride to the stadium.

In addition, Metro-North continuously operates shuttle trains to Grand Central and Harlem-125th Street before, during and after all games. The shuttle trains ensure service every 20 minutes beginning two hours before the game starts and ending two hours after it concludes.

Alcoholic beverages may be consumed on the train, but open containers are not allowed on station platforms at Yankees – E.153rd St. and must be discarded.

Fans using all three east-of-Hudson lines have lots of train choices for each game. For details about game-day schedules, pick up a special Yankees-153rd Street Station Game Day timetable, available online at http://bit.ly/Yankees-MNR and at Grand Central Terminal and outlying stations.

Or visit www.mta.info/mnr and get train times using our interactive schedules page. Schedules for game day trains are also available on your smartphone or computer via Metro-North Train Time www.mta.info/mnr or on your cell phone by sending a text message to CooCoo (266266).

Hudson Line

Metro-North will provide direct service to and from all home games from all stations both north and south of Croton-Harmon via regularly scheduled trains.
To all weekend and weekday afternoon games, Metro-North offers a Yankee Clipper special from select stations that are timed to let fans get to the stadium 60 or 75 minutes before the first pitch.
From all games, Metro-North offers a Yankee Clipper special to select stations that is timed to depart 20-45 minutes after the last out.

Harlem Line & New Haven Line

Metro-North will provide special Yankee Clipper direct trains to and from all weeknight and weekend games. These trains are timed to arrive at the stadium 105 to 45 minutes before the first pitch, and depart 20-45 minutes after the last out.
As an alternative, or to reach weekday afternoon games, fans can take regularly scheduled trains and change at Harlem-125th Street for a short shuttle train ride to the stadium.

Grand Central Terminal & Harlem-125th Street

Metro-North will provide frequent shuttle service to, from and during all games.

All trips to or from the stadium on any line can be made with just one ticket, whether you ride a direct train or change at Harlem-125th Street. Be sure to keep your ticket with you as you'll be asked for it by ticket collectors at the Yankees-E. 153rd Street Station.

Fans should buy round-trip or one-way tickets to Yankees–E. 153rd St. before boarding for the best price. Tickets from all Hudson Line stations (except Grand Central Terminal and Harlem-125th Street) are the less expensive "intermediate" tickets that are valid at all times. All tickets from Harlem Line and New Haven Line stations are off-peak, except for trips returning from weekday afternoon games. For customers starting their trips at Grand Central, trips to weeknight games are peak, and others are off-peak.
 #1176387  by Jeff Smith

Thought I'd start this, albeit a few weeks late.... MNRR Yankee Service

I rode it once last year, from Fairfield Metro. Have to say I loved it, although I wish there were more than one Clipper for weeknights. Apparently, from what I hear on the internet (and you know the internet, it has to be right ;-)) Hudson line commuters hate the station because of the crowding, both in- and out-bound.
 #1176562  by truck6018

Jeff Smith wrote: Apparently, from what I hear on the internet (and you know the internet, it has to be right ;-)) Hudson line commuters hate the station because of the crowding, both in- and out-bound.
In this circumstance the internet is right. While they do add some extras trains, the regular trains still get crowded.
 #1176595  by RearOfSignal

truck6018 wrote:
Jeff Smith wrote: Apparently, from what I hear on the internet (and you know the internet, it has to be right ;-)) Hudson line commuters hate the station because of the crowding, both in- and out-bound.
In this circumstance the internet is right. While they do add some extras trains, the regular trains still get crowded.
Hudson line riders should take a peak hour train to New Haven, I think they'll stop complaining then.
 #1206307  by monica012077

As a Hudson line commuter I do hate how crowded the push pull diesel sets can get on those games days. It gets loud and raucous too. The trains are usually pretty full without the stadium crowd. I don't know what complaining about the crowded Hudson line trains have anything to do with the New Haven line. Take that up with CDOT, maybe they should put out extra M8 trains. Or you can take Amtrak to Stamford if your expecting the train to be that full & take a MN from there