Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

#1145410  by khansingh

I was discussing DB electrification with someone who's not a railfan. When I mentioned that they replaced the electic with diesel locomotives in the early 60's, without missing a beat, she said, "Well, that's when the cost of electricity went up." Is that the case? Was it once economical, but not anymore?
 #1145415  by DutchRailnut

The main reason the Danbury was de-electrified was a incident at Cos Cob powerplant, rendering one of turbines useless.
the turbine was a total loss and was replaced in early 70's by a rotary Converter.

http://memory.loc.gov/pnp/habshaer/ct/c ... 4041pv.jpg
 #1145657  by Noel Weaver

This is not so, the wires came down because we had a management that was set on removing the wires entirely east of Stamford. Thankfully the railroad went bankrupt before they had a chance to do this and when Penn Central took over they saw the wisdom and usefullness of the wires firsthand.
Rotary convertors were used to produce DC not AC and were common with trolley operations in years past as well as the New York City Transit Authority and the New York Central as well. It was fascinating to watch those things purr and purr they did.
Noel Weaver
 #1145659  by DutchRailnut

Noel In 1962 one turbine got water in turbine blades and got totalled, the Rotary converters were used to produce the 25 Hz, not DC as you said.
They had a huge 60 Hz motor driving a 25 Hz alternator about twice size of a locomotive.
 #1149163  by Ridgefielder

Nothing really new in this story, just that it's appearing in a new outlet.
Ridgefield Press wrote:Boucher would make Danbury line upgrade a top priority

State Senator Toni Boucher (R-Wilton) is urging fellow lawmakers to make the Danbury branch line of Metro North a priority... Senator Boucher, whose district covers Ridgefield, will be supporting a bill that improves performance, increases the number of trains and electrifies the branch.
http://www.theridgefieldpress.com/14645 ... -priority/

Interesting to see where this goes. I know the bill calls for the electrification of *all* the Connecticut MN branchlines, so presumably they're hoping for support from the towns in The Valley.
 #1149299  by Clean Cab

Would I like to see electrification of the Danbury and Waterbury Branches? Heck yes!! Will I ever see it? Heck no!!! :(
 #1188713  by MetroNorthRider098

Anyone know if the Danbury Branch signalization project will cut down travel times? Originally, they said it was supposed to allow for more trains to run, but I'm guessing the state has no money to add more trains (especially since they don't seem to care about the Danbury line). Anyone have any more detail than the few local articles that have discussed it over the past few months? (I can also do a Google search, so please only respond if you have insider information.)
 #1189120  by Clean Cab

The adding of the cab signal system and the proposed increasing of speeds on some parts of the track may shorten travel time, but we're not talking any huge amount of time. Maybe a minute or two at best.
 #1189123  by DutchRailnut

no plans for added trains yet, and no plans to increase speed, in fact it may slow things down as signal system will force speeds lower on approaching final destination.
the max speed for MBS was not even reached, the Branch is 50 mph max and federal limit for MBS is 59 mph.
 #1189194  by theozno

I have the reverse commute everyday! I work for 8am. 1st train gets in at 9:40. How about the route 7 bus? the timing is perfect but it does not start at SONO. It starts 1 mile away at the depot making me have to drive 80 miles.
 #1189219  by DutchRailnut

Lets start a reverse commute, WoW we have one customer, enough reason to create a state defecit.
 #1189245  by keyboardkat

I think one main reason for the original electrification of the Danbury branch was the fact that the New Haven ran through service to Pittsfield, Mass. along this line, and it was more efficient to run trains with electric locomotives all the way to Danbury and change engines there, rather than at Stamford.
I'd love to see the Pittsfield service restored, but much of the line north of Danbury is now missing or owned by short line railroad companies, including the Housatonic. In 1971, Amtrak didn't want it, saying it was not really a long distance run.
I'd love to see the Danbury electrification restored just because I love electric traction, but it ain't gonna happen.
 #1189258  by DutchRailnut

There will not be Electrification on Danbury Branch, and the choice of Signaling system basically eliminates any electrification.
The Signal system is a DC based system, not compatible with AC electrification.