Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

#1456160  by F-line to Dudley via Park

They're in temporarily diminished numbers because some units are out for the rebuild program. Schedules right now weight much more heavily to P40DC's than before when it was an even split, but yes the Geeps are still out there. Particular train assignments are completely random shift-to-shift whether a schedule's running a P40DC or GP40-2H, but units aren't segregated at all from one schedule slot to another so it's random chance what you get for power on any given SLE consist.
 #1456293  by Graeme Salt

Thanks, seems SLE definitely worth a look then. I gather from the timetable that at least 5 engines are needed daily for the service, and all work Westbound by 7 am, so in the absence of a crystal ball I guess it's as good a plan as any to take the overnight Amtrak NE Regional service up to Old Saybrook (arrives just after 5 am) and see what turns up.
 #1456380  by Stephen B. Carey

One of my favorite places to watch trains! Everything around there is quite good and on a nice day its a short walk to some nice small shops if you'd like to make a day of it. Sorry if I got off topic. :wink:
 #1456398  by Graeme Salt

Thanks for the tips and I'll definitely try the coffee if I'm still there after 6 - It'd have to be a strong one after jumping off an overnight train at 5 am!
 #1456492  by Train2009

Caught #6696 on the day after Christmas Tuesday December 26, 2017, it was on train #1633 from New London, CT to Stamford, CT then turned for train #1610 to Old Saybrook. #1610 was seen headed eastbound past Southport.
 #1457100  by ebtmikado

Since the rebuilds are supposed to have a 5-month turnaround,
the first of the Geeps to go was at least a few months ago.
So it won't be long before we can all express our joy at the new CT Rail schemes.

:( :( :(

Lee
 #1457101  by DutchRailnut

The contract calls for first one to be finished and ready for testing one year from accepting at NRE.
 #1457162  by NH2060

ebtmikado wrote:Since the rebuilds are supposed to have a 5-month turnaround,
the first of the Geeps to go was at least a few months ago.
So it won't be long before we can all express our joy at the new CT Rail schemes.

:( :( :(

Lee
I would think that they would be delivered in a fresh coat of the existing McGinnis scheme, no?
 #1457231  by NH2060

I guess as long as they don't do to the Geeps what was done to the Brookvilles with that faux Alpert era NH scheme they'll look decent enough. I think I'll take issue with the new "CTrail" logo over anything else. At least the NH red, white, and black will live on in some fashion.
 #1457521  by twropr

Back in May 6694, 6695 and 6698 were shipped to NRE for overhaul, expected to return late next month.
There was another unit that joined them fairly recently - anyone know which one it was?
Thanks!
Andy
 #1460721  by Graeme Salt

Sadly I didn't get to try the coffee from Ashlawn, but I can confirm 6696 was out on the SLE circuit yesterday. I rode with it from New Haven to New London on my way from New Jersey to Boston.