Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

#440972  by NJD8598

Wire to wire: Train line to Stamford was transformed from steam to electricity a century ago

By Mark Ginocchio
Staff Writer

Published September 2 2007

Editor's note: This is the first of two parts

A new kind of train arrived in Stamford on Dec. 5, 1907. The slower, less reliable steam-powered train sets had been replaced with groundbreaking electric trains, capable of getting commuters and travelers on the New York, New Haven and Hartford rail line between New York City and Stamford in 50 minutes.

The train left Grand Central Terminal at 9:09 a.m. and arrived at Stamford at 10:29 a.m. That it arrived one minute late appeared to be the only reported problem.

"Everything worked lovely," Hoge Gilliam, a railroad superintendent, told The Advocate at the time...........

.....read the rest online here:

http://www.stamfordadvocate.com/news/lo ... -headlines

A nice article to read, though I am no expert on this stuff so I can't really say how true everything is, I'm sure others will have comments. Just thought it would be of interest here, don't know when Part 2 will be published.

#441991  by kitn1mcc

great article nice that they talked to trainmaster swanberg

wish they mentioned about the ct 3 rail regs

#442149  by BobLI

What are the Ct 3rd rail regs?

#442278  by MNRR_RTC

BobLI wrote:What are the Ct 3rd rail regs?
The State of Connecticut requires electrically powered trains to use catenary. Third rail is banned in the state.

#442415  by kitn1mcc

the reason is that when new haven was testing they tired a Center 3rd rail and too many horses/cows got killed