Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

#432451  by MP 0.1

In Rye, the space for the long-departed NYW&B tracks can be clearly seen on the north side of the ROW, especially at the overpass on the station's west end.

However, the catenary tower posts on the south side are clearly spaced for an extra pair of tracks, especially noticeable in the parking area on the outbound platform side. I am confused by this apparent contradiction. Am I missing something that is very obvious?

Thanks...

#432481  by Clean Cab

There were siding tracks on the track #4 side as well as the extra wide catenary spacing on the track #3 side. At one time, the yard on the track #4 side was quite massive. Now its just a parking lot.

#432680  by nh chris

The original owner of the NH branch of M-N was of course the New Haven Railroad, which was known in some circles as just a large collection of yards. Some other now-gone yards were located at Mt. Vernon (East), Port Chester, Byram, Bridgeport, etc. The full list is much longer.

NH Chris

#432779  by MP 0.1

Thanks, I didn't know there was a yard at Rye.
However, there doesn't seem to be room under the cat. towers for the NYWB tracks. Were the towers reconfigured after the tracks were removed?

#432986  by Travelsonic

In an old picture of Rye Station found on railpictures.net, I believe it was this one, you can not only see the longer catenary towers, but some old ties, and even a lone rail on the side of the tracks.

EDIT: Railpictures does seem to have a decent collection of old pictures on the new haven line where remains, some more subtle than others, of extra ROW space can be seen.