Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

#655088  by JoshKarpoff

This looks like it's going to be a nice station when it's all done. I wish that they'd replace the current monstrosity at Croton-Harmon with something along these lines.

In the C-H version, that extra space in the crossover could be devoted to more retail, waiting and bathroom space. Maybe even an MTA Police substation. Oh what a joy it would be to have platforms you could safely pass the platform waiting booth, or elevators that work (especially ones with emergency phones that connect to humans and not fax modems). Oh well, Croton will never have the same influence as Steinbrenner, so it will never happen.

I haven't been down that way in a while, how many staircases does each platform for the new Yankee Stadium station have?
 #655157  by Tommy Meehan

Someone asked about regular service at Yankee Stadium, what track will southbounds arrive on?

First of all, I can't believe many people are going to be riding "regular service" from this station. Even during the transit strike of a few years ago few people rode from the temporary Yankee Stadium stop. It's too far from River Avenue/Grand Concourse where the population is. You'll have to walk right past the 161st Street No.4/D train station to get to Metro-North. And Metro-North won't match the frequency of service/lower fare of the subway.

Also, having ridden literally hundreds of Hudson Line locals over the past 15 years, it seems to me very few southbound locals a) use Tk 4 since b) very few locals stop at Highbridge. It seems to me the few trains that do make the employee stop at Highbridge are mostly northbounds.

But if you're waiting at Tk 2 for the local and it's going to arrive on Tk 4, believe me, if I know Metro-North, you'll have plenty of (repeated) advance notice, I'm sure:

"Attention at...Yankee Stadium. This is a track change. The ten...fifty-one...train to...Grand Central...will be arriving on....Track 4...."

:-) :-D :P :-D :-)
 #655811  by GreatOne2k7

Tommy Meehan wrote:Someone asked about regular service at Yankee Stadium, what track will southbounds arrive on?

First of all, I can't believe many people are going to be riding "regular service" from this station. Even during the transit strike of a few years ago few people rode from the temporary Yankee Stadium stop. It's too far from River Avenue/Grand Concourse where the population is. You'll have to walk right past the 161st Street No.4/D train station to get to Metro-North. And Metro-North won't match the frequency of service/lower fare of the subway.
Forgot about Hudson Line reverse commuters who currently use 125 St from Manhattan and The Bronx? They can use Yankees/E 153rd St to save on their fares.

Riders getting on/off at Marble Hill (for (1) train) may use this stop to have a quicker ride using the subway ((4) and (D) expresses) instead of the multi stop ride on the (1). The MNR fare will cost the same as getting off in Marble Hill.
 #655873  by Erie-Lackawanna

GreatOne2k7 wrote:Riders getting on/off at Marble Hill (for (1) train) may use this stop to have a quicker ride using the subway ((4) and (D) expresses) instead of the multi stop ride on the (1). The MNR fare will cost the same as getting off in Marble Hill.
They'll lose that time they save with the walk from the station to the subway. It's not right across the street.

Jim
 #656009  by Dieter

I saw the crews installing platform lighting this past week, those oversized, ugly plastic green bells.

I would have thought that Steinbrenner would have tossed in some Yankee Doleros and made the light fixtures resemble oversized YANKEE Batting Helmets (like those little plastic ones they serve ice cream in at the stadiums).

The station seems to be coming together like a contemporary, stock Metro North Commuter Stockade. Steinbrenner is missing a major marketing opportunity to make the station decor and appearance of a NY Yankees theme. Perhaps they will still do something, but think about it; who else is going to use this station, say for Mott Haven residents (if at all)? If the stop is going to be called "Yankee Stadium", make it something special, and it all just adds up to a big advertisement for the Yankees and that there's a station there now. A potential WIN-WIN scenario for the marketing department of Metro North and The Yankees.

D/
 #656034  by Erie-Lackawanna

"Yankees-E. 153rd Street". There is no station called "Yankee Stadium".

Steinbrenner has no need to do anything outside the stadium footprint. He sells out regardless of what the train station nearby looks like, or even whether there's a train station or not. And since he didn't build the station, he doesn't get to decorate it.

Jim
 #656037  by RearOfSignal

Erie-Lackawanna wrote:"Yankees-E. 153rd Street". There is no station called "Yankee Stadium".

Steinbrenner has no need to do anything outside the stadium footprint. He sells out regardless of what the train station nearby looks like, or even whether there's a train station or not. And since he didn't build the station, he doesn't get to decorate it.

Jim
E 153rd street, my foot!!!! It's freaking Yankee Stadium!!! Maybe they should call it Macombs Dam Bridge Station or River Street Station. Anyway, that's just me.
 #656102  by The Interloafer

The Bronx bus map that is posted up at the MTA's website has no Metro-North station at all at this location. In a different font, over the location of the old stadium, it does have the words "Yankee Stadium" to denote the location of the stadium itself.
 #656243  by GreatOne2k7

The Interloafer wrote:The Bronx bus map that is posted up at the MTA's website has no Metro-North station at all at this location. In a different font, over the location of the old stadium, it does have the words "Yankee Stadium" to denote the location of the stadium itself.
The version that I have isn't on the MTA website, it has the Bx2 change in it, you can email MTA and have them mail it to you. It is updated but still dated July 2008.
 #656335  by Tommy Meehan

Erie-Lackawanna wrote:"Yankees-E. 153rd Street". There is no station called "Yankee Stadium".Jim
Calling it Yankees-E.153d Street doesn't make too much sense at first glance, but then...

They're supposed to be redeveloping the property where they tore down the old Bronx County Courthouse and Bronx Terminal Market. To include condos too. Then you would have population literally across the way from the southbound platform. Might make sense to call it E.153 St., tie it in with the condos.

The condos might not get done anytime soon because of the economy, though.

Btw, while looking something else up I found a New York Times article from the 1980s. In which a Metro-North spokesperson explained they were dropping a Yankee Stadium station from the capital budget. "We'd rather spend our money on tracks, signals and equipment," the Metro-North spokesperson said. She said if the Yankees wanted a station then they should provide the funding.

Funny huh?