Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

#629364  by The Interloafer

Glad to be of service. Hopefully I'll manage to get a few more shots while the station is still under construction.

Now here's a question that arises in my mind based on our earlier discussion of shuttle trains vs. direct service from the Harlem & New Haven Lines back on p. 3 of this thread.

Per Jim and others:

Weekday evening games: Harlem & New Haven fans take a train to 125th and then a shuttle to the game but have direct service returning home.
Weekend games: Direct service in both directions.
Weekday day game: Shuttles/transfers in both directions.

Regarding those weekend games, of which there will be 27 during the 2009 season according to the Yankees official schedule (but many of which might be played before this station opens):

Harlem Line and New Haven Line passengers are going to have to get used to the idea -- for the first time in many decades if not ever -- of an inbound train that isn't destined for Grand Central Terminal. With M-7's you have outside electronic display signs warning people about that, but on the NH equipment you don't. In either case, the conductors are going to have to make it abundantly clear to the passengers that this is a Yankee Stadium-bound train. This probably will mean multiple, repetitive, crystal clear announcements.

This reminds me of the North Jersey Coast Line conductors saying at every station: "HOBOKEN TRAIN! HO-BO-KEN! This train is going to HOBOKEN! If you want Penn Station stay on the platform. HOBOKEN TRAIN!" (Meanwhile, I'm thinking: "Okay! We get it already!")

Then again, there's always the Long Island approach, which would be to eyeball tickets during collection, and to say on an individual-by-individual basis to those who need it: "Change at such-and-such."

Of course, none of this matters for direct Harlem & NH trains departing from the Yankee games, and there would be a lot more of those.

I don't know what the point of this comment is, other than, maybe, this might be a good preview for New Haven trains going to the Meadowlands.
 #631694  by MACTRAXX

Interloafer: Good MNCR Yankee Stadium Station pics!
It is good to see the progress at that station-perhaps it will be ready in April for the New Yankee Stadium's opening.
I wonder if MNCR will collect fares there like the LIRR does at the Shea Stadium Station on game days-at the gate.
MACTRAXX
 #633170  by pnaw10

Erie-Lackawanna wrote:It will not be ready for the Yankees' home opener.
At this time, we anticipate performing gate collection of fares for both arriving customers pre-game and departing customers post-game.
How can the entire stadium be ready in time, but a train station not be ready? (Not trying to be a smarta**, just genuinely curious... especially when those pictures make it look like it's so close to being finished.)

Also, gate collection for customers arriving pre-game? Why would you collect fares from people after they already got off the train (when they could lie about where they boarded)? I know I must be misunderstanding something.

I certainly understand pre-collecting fares post-game as people walk to the platform... that's wiser than having conductors attempt to collect from people on a really packed train -- especially with the first few stops being just a few minutes away.
 #633226  by Erie-Lackawanna

pnaw10 wrote:How can the entire stadium be ready in time, but a train station not be ready? (Not trying to be a smarta**, just genuinely curious... especially when those pictures make it look like it's so close to being finished.)
I'm not the project manager, so I can't speak with any authority, but I do know that the people building that stadium got a head start on Metro-North, and they don't have trains whizzing by 2 feet from where they're working. It's not the same.
pnaw10 wrote:Also, gate collection for customers arriving pre-game? Why would you collect fares from people after they already got off the train (when they could lie about where they boarded)? I know I must be misunderstanding something.
You're not misunderstanding. Most of the people arriving at the station near Yankee Stadium will be coming on a shuttle from GCT or 125th Street. There isn't enough time to collect their fares on board. Anyone coming from somewhere else will have their ticket punched on board and returned, and be told to keep it to show upon arrival. If they don't show it, they'll have to buy another ticket (from GCT, most likely), which they won't want to do.

In other words, in order to get away with what you're saying they'll try, they'll have to hide in the bathroom all the way in from wherever. And we're pretty good at getting bathroom doors unstuck.

Jim
 #633277  by RearOfSignal

If they can fit the group ticket onto the regular ticket stock this can be easily done. A date printed like the City-Tickets, with an IB and OB box. Make sure all the IB are punched on the way in, and punch the OB on the way out. I would assume most people would be buying round trips anyway.
 #633648  by The Interloafer

Actually, in light of checkthedoorlight's excellent track map of the area, my question is about the regular non-game-day service. Which platform would one wait on for an inbound train? Do southbound locals usually use Track 2, or 4, or is an either/or situation?
 #633679  by RearOfSignal

The Interloafer wrote:Actually, in light of checkthedoorlight's excellent track map of the area, my question is about the regular non-game-day service. Which platform would one wait on for an inbound train? Do southbound locals usually use Track 2, or 4, or is an either/or situation?
It's hard to tell what regular practice is seeing that the station hasn't opened yet. However I would think that since track 4 south of CP 10 doesn't platform at any of the local stops track 2 could be used for southbound locals. However track 4 has to be used when making employee stops at Highbridge. So a GCT-bound local would come down track 2 at CP 10, crossover to track 4 at CP 8 to make the E stop at Highbridge and maybe even cross over again back to track 2 at CP 6. Since south at CP 5 from Hudson Line track 4 you can't crossover to any other tracks until CP 3, at least from Hudson Line track 2 south into CP 5 the RTC can send trains down tracks 4 or 2.
 #634913  by The Interloafer

Erie-Lackawanna wrote:
pnaw10 wrote:How can the entire stadium be ready in time, but a train station not be ready? (Not trying to be a smarta**, just genuinely curious... especially when those pictures make it look like it's so close to being finished.)
I'm not the project manager, so I can't speak with any authority, but I do know that the people building that stadium got a head start on Metro-North.
Jim is correct. The stadium's groundbreaking ceremony was August 16, 2006. The station's groundbreaking ceremony was July 20, 2007. The first game scheduled to be held at the stadium is an exhibition game against the Cubs on April 3. The latest press release about the station says it will be open "in spring 2009." The last day of spring is June 21. So in the worst case scenario (for both projects), the stadium would have taken 960 days to build, while the station would have taken 702.
 #653257  by Terrapin Station

Drucifer wrote:I went by Saturday morn on one of my few Metro North trips to the City and saw them still pouring platform concrete.
Yes, I've gone by in recent months and the north end of one of the platforms appeared to still require more concrete.