Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

#592041  by The Interloafer

pnaw10 wrote:Will trains for all 3 lines be ready and waiting on the platform so fans can immediately board? Will the trains leave at pre-scheduled times, or will they leave "x" minutes after the game is over? If a game is rain-delayed or runs into extra innings, it wouldn't be good business to make people leave early just to catch their train; nor would it make much sense (or money) to run an empty train. Likewise, if a game is cut short due to bad weather, how quickly can trains be moved into place to collect those soaking, disappointed fans?
The Yankee Clipper ferry leaves "30 minutes after the last out." I think that's the model they should go for, except for more departure options.

Fortunately, with the Highbridge Yard being so close, it should be relatively easy to move trains in place for departure times. But I can see why they want to run the shuttle service during rush hours. If you're pulling out from the Highbridge Yard track and going north to New Haven via the wye, you foul all three Hudson Line tracks, then two to four Harlem/New Haven Line tracks. That can probably only be accommodated during non-rush hours, unless they want to build a flying junction for additional millions of dollars.
 #594863  by The Interloafer

The station is coming along quite nicely. Here are some photos I took on Saturday.

It is very exciting to be have this going up within walking distance from my apartment. I plan to use this as my daily commuting station. With ten car lengths, this is going to be a luxury to use.
 #594867  by Clean Cab

I think its great that Yankee Stadium is finally getting its own train station. The one problem is the local trains to Harmon just got a bit longer time-wise that is. There are now 19 station stops from GCT to Harmon in only 33 miles. Yikes!!!
 #596014  by GreatOne2k7

This will help reverse commuters and others save money by not having go to/from 125 St. This could even get some of the riders who currently switch to/from the (1) at Marble Hill by offering them quicker west side alternatives, the (B) and (D). Those looking to go below Grand Central on the east side can transfer to the (4) and save on fares.
 #596075  by RearOfSignal

GreatOne2k7 wrote:This will help reverse commuters and others save money by not having go to/from 125 St. This could even get some of the riders who currently switch to/from the (1) at Marble Hill by offering them quicker west side alternatives, the (B) and (D). Those looking to go below Grand Central on the east side can transfer to the (4) and save on fares.
Not really, the transfer at Marble Hill to the (1) is easier than a transfer at Yankee Stadium to the (4),(D) or (B). Marble Hill station is only about 110 yards from the (1), the new Yankee Stadium station is about 475 yards to the (4), (D) and (B), and that's just in a straight line not including having to walk around the parking lot.
 #596101  by Nester

RearOfSignal wrote:Not really, the transfer at Marble Hill to the (1) is easier than a transfer at Yankee Stadium to the (4),(D) or (B). Marble Hill station is only about 110 yards from the (1), the new Yankee Stadium station is about 475 yards to the (4), (D) and (B), and that's just in a straight line not including having to walk around the parking lot.
How are you calculating those distances? I've made the transfer from MH to the 1 and I think the distance is closer to 110 feet than 110 yards. I agree with your statements implying that the MH transfer is quicker/easier/more direct, I just question the unit of measure. I can't picture myself walking the length of a football field along Marble Hill Avenue to get from one entrance to another. :-D
 #596147  by RearOfSignal

Nester wrote:
RearOfSignal wrote:Not really, the transfer at Marble Hill to the (1) is easier than a transfer at Yankee Stadium to the (4),(D) or (B). Marble Hill station is only about 110 yards from the (1), the new Yankee Stadium station is about 475 yards to the (4), (D) and (B), and that's just in a straight line not including having to walk around the parking lot.
How are you calculating those distances? I've made the transfer from MH to the 1 and I think the distance is closer to 110 feet than 110 yards. I agree with your statements implying that the MH transfer is quicker/easier/more direct, I just question the unit of measure. I can't picture myself walking the length of a football field along Marble Hill Avenue to get from one entrance to another. :-D
Google Earth, from the Marble Hill staircase to Broadway.
 #596177  by GreatOne2k7

The ride on the (1) is longer than the ride on the (D) if they are going to the some parts of the West Side especially midtown. Taking the (B) to the (A) or (D) is better than taking the (1) to the (A) (long elevator transfer) or the (1) to the (2) or (3).

The (4) to the (2) is also now an option.
 #619534  by MNCRR9000

I know there was talk of sending shuttles from GCT to the new Yankee Stadium station or sending New Haven Line and Harlem Line trains through the Wye to the new stadium. Has a decision been made as to how they are going to move Passengers in and out of the new station. Also when they built the new station did they have a lot of work to do re-aligning the tracks?
 #619550  by Erie-Lackawanna

MNCRR9000 wrote:I know there was talk of sending shuttles from GCT to the new Yankee Stadium station or sending New Haven Line and Harlem Line trains through the Wye to the new stadium. Has a decision been made as to how they are going to move Passengers in and out of the new station. Also when they built the new station did they have a lot of work to do re-aligning the tracks?
Both scenarios, depending on day of week and time of game start. Vast majority of customers will use shuttles operating between GCT/125th Street and new, as-yet-unnamed station near Yankee Stadium.

Three of four tracks in that area had to be moved to make room for platforms.

Jim
 #619583  by oknazevad

Erie-Lackawanna wrote:
MNCRR9000 wrote:I know there was talk of sending shuttles from GCT to the new Yankee Stadium station or sending New Haven Line and Harlem Line trains through the Wye to the new stadium. Has a decision been made as to how they are going to move Passengers in and out of the new station. Also when they built the new station did they have a lot of work to do re-aligning the tracks?
Both scenarios, depending on day of week and time of game start. Vast majority of customers will use shuttles operating between GCT/125th Street and new, as-yet-unnamed station near Yankee Stadium.

Three of four tracks in that area had to be moved to make room for platforms.

Jim
Why wouldn't they just name it "Yankee Stadium"? After all, the 4 and D/B train station(s) use it in their names?