Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

#395627  by SubaruWRX

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=21936

Why did they get rid of the electronic signs?

Last night SO many people did not know which train to get on (me included) I on the other hand got on the right track but wrong train by like 8 min I was just thinking to myself yesterday why not have up some electronic updated sign of some sorts.

#395998  by Clean Cab

The"electric" signs have been in place ever since 1998. They display only basic information about train/track assignments. Thing is, most passengers don't even notice them.

#396010  by SubaruWRX

capecodlocoguy wrote:The"electric" signs have been in place ever since 1998. They display only basic information about train/track assignments. Thing is, most passengers don't even notice them.
Really?

I swear I never saw any when at the station on Sunday and I was walking around.. mater of fact I ran all the way back inside to make sure the train was on time...

All I saw was the basic white/black sign saying what track was what..

#396155  by Clean Cab

An older version of them were in service much earlier than that. If you never noticed them, then you prove my point!!!

#396184  by NJD8598

Your saying there are still electronic signs like the one in the picture above? I live in Stamford and have left from there many times but I don't recall seeing them. I know I may just be proving your point but I think I would have noticed them.

#396190  by SubaruWRX

NJD8598 wrote:Your saying there are still electronic signs like the one in the picture above? I live in Stamford and have left from there many times but I don't recall seeing them. I know I may just be proving your point but I think I would have noticed them.
I'm with you on this.. I would of noticed them right away myself and for waiting for my train for some 25 Min I never saw Any electronic sign outside.

#396204  by Clean Cab

I know there was one when there still was a track 6. I have pictures that show it on the very east end of the 4/6 platform. I'll try to dig one up and post it.

#396382  by Erie-Lackawanna

The platform signs as shown in the photo were removed during construction of the center-island platform project. I don't know why they weren't reinstalled after the project was completed.

Jim

#396490  by SubaruWRX

I agree with you I hope they did not just dump them..

Everyone that night was a bit confused on what local and express was..

#396584  by Clean Cab

So was I right? :)

#396598  by SubaruWRX

I will be going into Stamford today possible so I will check all of the platforms but Im sure none of them are up.

#396603  by Erie-Lackawanna

There's no need for you to check...the signs that are shown in that photograph are not there anymore. To clarify:

There are five airport-type video departure displays located throughout the station. None are located on the platforms.

There are NO electronic displays of any type on the platforms at Stamford.

Now, if you still want to check, go ahead. If you find them there, let me know so I can turn on the software that would drive them, because it's disabled currently - because the signs aren't there. :)

Jim

[Edited to not be so...harsh. No offense intended; apologies to those who may have taken offense.]
Last edited by Erie-Lackawanna on Wed May 09, 2007 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

#396610  by SubaruWRX

wow you guys are harsh here.. I better go back to lurking for another year or so.

#396867  by checkthedoorlight

I haven't been to Stamford station for quite a while, but I commuted there every day for 2 and a half years between 2003-2005. The signs as shown in that photo are no longer there, but there IS a TV monitor at track 5 roughly halfway down the platform (the side platform only, near the elevator and escalators) which lists the next 10 trains, their time, and their track. Similar monitors are also located near the ticket office, at the eastern overpass which goes to the parking lot (btw, it's really a shame that this overpass wasn't built with access to track 5's side platform, and thus access to the street...this really could have saved me a couple times), and in the underground tunnel, across from the MTA Police station. I don't understand why every other platform does not have these monitors, or even a display saying which train is next on this track. LIRR, by comparison, has a sign like this at EVERY platform in the system, even places like East Hampton which only have one track and platform to choose from. With four tracks to choose from, it can be quite confusing to know where to go, particularly New Canaan trains which are regularly on tracks 5, 2 or 4 depending on the time of day. Back when I started commuting, I did the same thing and accidentially boarded a New Canaan train and had to wait 45 minutes at Glenbrook for the turn around.