Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

#839770  by M1 9147

They already have too much surplus of cars that came from West of Hudson Pool operated by New Jersey Transit. Adding Bilevel cars defeats the sense unless more locomotives are ordered. And with that, then either M3's will have to be retired, or that to replace the M4's. Bilevels since MN has the Shoreliner's built by Bombardier, it makes sense to get a model of the Comet 6ML already in use by NJT, and AMT. We shall see! Anyways, all the Shoreliner 1's are being rebuilt by Bombardier as of now in spurts.
 #839790  by DutchRailnut

If its 3x2 seating it will be Disastrous, if its 2x 2 seating great.
As for only compatible with Harlem.Hudson, I think thats a mistake.
 #839804  by truck6018

What would the weight factor be? Currently there is a maximum of 7 coaches in a consist. Assuming the bi-levels are heavier what are the maximum number of cars that would be able to be in a consist? Five? Six? If that's the case, would it be worth while spending the $$$ to resolve the issues with getting through Park Ave tunnel?
 #839810  by metrony

I see Metro-North doing this way down the line like at least another decade or two, but now it doesn't make sense. They have too many coaches and not enough locomotives. Metro-North just got WoH coaches and they're rebuilding the end to end door ones.
 #839826  by DutchRailnut

truck6018 wrote:What would the weight factor be? Currently there is a maximum of 7 coaches in a consist. Assuming the bi-levels are heavier what are the maximum number of cars that would be able to be in a consist? Five? Six? If that's the case, would it be worth while spending the $$$ to resolve the issues with getting through Park Ave tunnel?
current limit of 7 cars to genny is for HEP not for weight.
For New Bi-levels they concider new electric powerheads, two to a train, but currently everything is still only in planning stage.
 #839840  by DutchRailnut

try to picture it as a TGV bi level, only slower and uglier ;-)
 #840075  by 7express

Theirs a reason there's not bi-livels already on Metro North:
They won't fit in the Park Ave Tunnel.

Unless there going to buy them for the Wassaic shuttle and the Poughkeepsie late night shuttle, but that would be a terrible waste
 #840078  by DutchRailnut

Read the Article, the Bi-levels will be powered by DC only powerheads and the trains are for Harlem and Hudson electric zones only.
These are possible replacements for the M-3's
They are not for Genesis or other Dualmode powered trains.
They are not for New Haven line.
 #840092  by 7express

I thought Bi-livels had clearence issues for the tunnel? Oh well, guess I was wrong. I always liked riding the bi-livels on LIRR, I wouldn't mind then on the Hudson or Harlem if I ever go to Croton, White Plains or Southeast.
 #840103  by DutchRailnut

Like I said read the article, the cars MNCR would be purchasing would need a better taper at top than NJT cars.
The height is same as Genesis.
I ran LIRR C-1's on test trains into GCT but they could only travel track 1 & 2(center) in park ave tunnel.
No restriction in GCT itself.
 #840131  by DutchRailnut

Passenger counts will go up, no matter how economy is doing.
Fact is MNCR needs to replace the M-3's in a few years, its either M-9's or a MNCR double Decker consist.
Right now its planning and dreaming, a lot of technical challanges still need to be solved.
It will take a lot of co-operation of all departments to design a consist that can be used in GCT.
If any one Dept. thinks they can design it alone, they may as wel forget it.
The Capital money for replacements is starting to be allocated, budget wise it has nothing to do with operating budget and shortfalls at MTA.