Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

#895991  by DutchRailnut

You should be thankfull that anything still runs, another snowstorm tuesday/wednesday with 8/12" expected.
after that we will run Gondola's( bring your own seat) behind freight locomotives.
 #896005  by L'mont

DutchRailnut wrote:You should be thankfull that anything still runs, another snowstorm tuesday/wednesday with 8/12" expected.
after that we will run Gondola's( bring your own seat) behind freight locomotives.
Stop pretending that you think this would be a bad thing!

You'd have more diesels to run and what could make you happier!
 #896038  by Ridgefielder

DutchRailnut wrote:You should be thankfull that anything still runs, another snowstorm tuesday/wednesday with 8/12" expected.
Those old Canadian heavyweights up on the Naugy are looking better every day! ;-)
 #898071  by MNR's #1 Conductor

I know EXACTLY what happened!!! Guess what??? I was the conductor on "The Dink", New-Canaan bound #6746, my second to last train of my day, and first train of my final round trip, when this happened!!!!

Goes a little something like this..........

My engineer reports just before he reaches Camp Avenue grade crossing, that a vehicle appeared to be on the tracks in front of us up to the north and possibly at the Hoyt Street crossing, and that he was bringing the train to a stop. At the speed we were traveling at, we were very much able to stop in time, and the train was stopped about a good car length (at least 85 feet) away from the vehicle, a minivan, which was stuck in the snow bank, fouling the track, but not quite on the tracks. Had the train continued, we certainly would have struck the vehicle. While the engineer called everything in, I was on my way up to front to assess the situation, and also to descend to the tracks, check the vehicle and communicate my findings to the RTC, District E. Upon coming up on the vehicle, I noticed an elderly man in the vehicle, seemingly very shaken but otherwise unhurt. I reassured him that everything was going to be okay and that help was on the way. As I said this, the Darien Police arrived on the scene, and then I spoke with the officer about our observations. The officer stated he would secure the scene, and at the same time await the arrival of MNR supervision and the MTA PD. The gentleman (driver) was fine, but was shaken up and I think he got spooked by a passing motorist, and veered off the road. While he should have put on his hazard lamps, the fact that he kept at least his headlights on was the biggest thing that prevented a possible tragedy, and the engineer's good eyes spotting that definitely was another big part in the prevention of a possible tragedy.

After returning to the train, District E wanted us to make a reverse move back to Springdale Station and wait there until further instructed. I went to the west end and backed us up west towards Springdale. Once in the station, I further informed the passengers to what had happened and what will be in store for us from there on out. and while a few did leave the train and have relatives or friends come pick them up at Springdale, quite a few remained on board, and many thanks for the handling of this situation went out from them to both me and most certainly my engineer, and especially upon our arrival in New Canaan!! A good set of eyes, both from my praise to the engineer, and from the praises of the passengers and the trainmaster on scene as we headed back east up the branch!! And once the wrecker truck arrived to remove the minivan, and the right of way was clear, we were instructed by District E to proceed to New Canaan, but they also issued us a Stop & Warn for both Camp Avenue and Hoyt Street (Camp Avenue just as a precaution due to the close proximity to Hoyt Street crossing), and we went about our way. Due to our length of time, we ended up running the 7:27 PM "Dink" back to Stamford as opposed to the 6:27, and got back to Stamford exactly to the minute an hour later than our regular off time (A little cha-ching!!), and upon our departure from New Canaan, District E had lifted the Stop & Warns and we continued westward as normal, and the scene was clear.

Another day done, all in a day's work!! :) And mind you, as this was the end of my week (Sun/Mon off), this was one hell of an end to what was one hell of a crazy work week!!! :-D
 #974911  by Train538

Oh my gosh. What is it these days with people not stopping, looking, and listening? Geez. At least the elderly driver is alright. I hope the engineer is alright, too.
 #974942  by pbass

MTA Metro North must be operating N Scale sized trains that are so hard to see and hear.What I feared hitting most was a tractor trailer with or without fuel.
 #975139  by TCurtin

From the sound of the article that person was mentally "out of it." From the looks of the photos it's a wonder she survived. The cops used good judgment in lifing her license
 #975235  by RearOfSignal

TCurtin wrote:From the sound of the article that person was mentally "out of it." From the looks of the photos it's a wonder she survived. The cops used good judgment in lifing her license
Not speaking of her condition before the accident, but I think anyone would be mentally "out of it" after getting hit by a train. I almost got hit by an elderly driver(confused gas and brake) in a parking lot of a pet store a few months ago. Missed me by about 15 feet and plowed up the curb smashing into the store front like you see on the crazy videos TV shows. Heck, I was shaken up after that. I could only imagine what getting struck by(or in this case perhaps striking) a train would do to someone.

But I would advocate increased testing for elderly drivers.
 #975254  by pbass

great idea by NY STATE not to give vision tests.a 97 year old lady i know is far sighted in one eye and near sighted in the other.thankfully,her son had her license revoked albeit she is physically and mentally fit.losing your faculties is part of aging.if they are unable to differentiate the brake from the gas and can't see or hear a train,how many accidents and fatalities will they cause?