Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

#1551031  by Pensyfan19

Hello everyone. I am once again asking for your help in making a video for my youtube locomotive documentary series covering these locomotives, specifically focusing on the ones which were leased to Metro North in the 80s. Just to confirm, there was a total of four E units (all E8s) which went to MN: two from Amtrak (495 and 497), and two from NJDOT (4248 and 4251). Is all of this information regarding these units and Metro North correct? Is there any information or locomotives which I am leaving out? Also, why were the E units allowed in Grand Central station with their engines left running?
 #1551078  by Erie-Lackawanna

Pensyfan19 wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:33 am Also, why were the E units allowed in Grand Central station with their engines left running?[/b]
1. Grand Central Terminal. Grand Central Station is the name of a subway stop and a post office. It’s an important distinction.
2. Because in the 80s nobody really cared about the exhaust, and there probably was some level of concern that they may not start back up so easily if shut down.
3. The Railroad to which I gave 35+ years has a hyphen in its name: Metro-North Railroad.

:-)

Jim
 #1551224  by Pensyfan19

Here's the video I made regarding these leased E units for Remarkable Engines. Hope you enjoy! :-D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-HTpDJCHPQ

[Can this post be merged into the E8A loaner topic since it's regarding the same locomotives/information?]
 #1551230  by TomNelligan

The E8s weren't the only diesels in GCT during that severe power shortage. Former Conrail B23-7s and ex-NH FL9s with inoperative third rail gear could also be found on MN trains in the caverns. And the cloud of confined exhaust from a pair of E8s when they started up was something (unhealthy) to behold.
 #1551255  by Pensyfan19

TomNelligan wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:00 pm The E8s weren't the only diesels in GCT during that severe power shortage. Former Conrail B23-7s and ex-NH FL9s with inoperative third rail gear could also be found on MN trains in the caverns. And the cloud of confined exhaust from a pair of E8s when they started up was something (unhealthy) to behold.
Did the B23-7s pull revenue passenger trains or were they used for maintenance/switching service?

I also covered the E units for Metro North since they were only leased/loaned by Metro North, while the B23-7s were kept by Metro North until the 90s.
 #1551296  by Fishrrman

Pennsyfan wrote:
"Did the B23-7s pull revenue passenger trains or were they used for maintenance/switching service?"

They were used for both.

I remember running a B23 unit "lite" into Grand Central, would have to be at the end of the Conrail era in late 1982, or perhaps early on with MN in 1983. It might have been after blizzard in February 1983, as I remember the engine was covered with snow and kept getting ground relays (from melting snow) if I tried to take too much power. So... I just nursed it along.

But I also recall seeing FL9's and B23's coupled together pulling passenger trains.

Aside:
I was technically "not hired" by MN on January 1, 1983 (too low on the roster), but because I was on the "unsuccessful bidders list" they called me a few times and asked me to work anyway. Still have copies of the timeslips, and may even have the pay statements yet. So I was indeed "a Metro North engineer" if only for a few trips in the old days!

- J. Albert
 #1551323  by NaugyRR

You should write a book like Paul Holland did, J. I would certainly read it, haha.
 #1551571  by Backshophoss

The 2 Amtrak E's were rigged for Springfield service with HEP for Amfleet,Tended to stay on the AM/PM rush hour Harlem Line to Brewster,The B-23-7's were front line power/work train after a
"haircut" to the stack and the horn moved to the fireman's side of the long Hood .
The B-23's would lead as they didn't have Steam piping or HEP.
 #1554875  by Engineer Spike

When service to Waterbury expanded in the early 1990s, the B23-7 fleet was used in passenger service. Some of the cars had generators for HEP. As far as GCT goes, didn’t the F10s go there often?
 #1555111  by Backshophoss

Not if they were routed to Track 1 OR 3 (center tunnel) in/out of GCT,Might have had a "run in" with the 3rd rail stubs in the puzzle switches