Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

#1539572  by Jeff Smith

Train322 wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 3:48 pm We need to be realistic as money does not grow on trees.

Also, need to be realistic.
Fund this by:
1) Higher gas tax when the market price for oil is down.
2) Truck only tolls on certain roads.
But the point is money is no object with a stimulus! :wink:

Gas tax won't be going any higher. I'd be pro-tolls, especially trucks, but that seems to be the third rail (which is illegal in CT LOL) right now.
 #1539662  by NH2060

Okay I'm going to cheat here and make 2 lists since CT has quite a backlog when it comes to rail. One for 5 "must do ASAP" projects and another for "future" projects:

Top 5 "ASAP" items:

1. Replacement of the Cos Cob, Westport, Housatonic River, and CONN moveable bridges (the WALK bridge project already underway obviously)
2. Springdale 2nd track and platform
3. Dual mode/diesel and coach fleet replacement and expansion (for Danbury, Waterbury, Hartford Line, SLE + service increases on those routes)
4. New/rebuilt North Haven, West Hartford, Windsor, Windsor Locks and Enfield stations (since they're already in design/closest to being "shovel ready")
5. Madison 2nd platform

Top 5 "Expansion" items:

1. New Milford extension
2. Expanded SLE service to NLC and Westerly + additional equipment
3. Bradley Airport rail link (and extend all New Haven to Hartford CTrail runs to the airport making it the new terminus for non-Springfield trains)
4. Waterbury branch extension to Hartford via Berlin + additional equipment
5. Remaining Hartford Line infill stops.
 #1539665  by J.D. Lang

I really like your item #3 on the expansion list. Running through to Bradley would be a nice one seat service and could be a good draw for a lot of people along the corridor from Hartford south.
 #1539668  by Jeff Smith

In the Waterbury topic, re: NH2060's #4, I'd also include service over the Highland from Waterbury to New Haven as well. Intrastate service in CT is something that has been long ignored, but hopefully getting some $$$ now.
 #1539693  by NH2060

J.D. Lang wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 11:42 am I really like your item #3 on the expansion list. Running through to Bradley would be a nice one seat service and could be a good draw for a lot of people along the corridor from Hartford south.
Thanks! At least Windsor and Windsor Locks would get extra service before the expanded double track and CT River bridge replacement (shoot why didn't I put THAT on the to-do list :() comes to fruition. No doubt that would indeed increase ridership.
Jeff Smith wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 11:56 am In the Waterbury topic, re: NH2060's #4, I'd also include service over the Highland from Waterbury to New Haven as well. Intrastate service in CT is something that has been long ignored, but hopefully getting some $$$ now.
I noticed that the other day and thought that was a great idea and a good use of equipment. A train could start at either NHV or Bridgeport/Devon and serve 3 lines at once.

I would also throw in a Manchester flank/extension of Waterbury and Hartford Line ops as a possibility i.e. BPT/Devon-WTBY-HFD-Manchester and NHV-HFD-Manchester. With the CTfastrak expansion into that area there's no way a stand alone shuttle train to/from Hartford would work but if it provided one-seat peak hour service to SW CT it could be doable as a pilot project.

Now *will* ConnDOT actually do any of that? I'm sure not, but hey we're used to that kind of disappointment, right? :P
 #1539699  by Train322

I am assuming NH2060 item about fleet expansion also includes adding as much of the second track north of Hartford as possible.

The idea about using the rail to the airport - I totally agree with and perhaps an early morning one seat ride and late night one seat ride to New Haven (and beyond ie Bridgeport/Norwalk?) makes sense. Because this is appealing with respect to making the airport grow market share, I think this is more realistic than many think.

The rail line from Waterbury to Bristol/New Britain and on toward Berlin with continuation to either Hartford or New Haven - not really likely because the route between Waterbury and Bristol has curves, is not direct and involves the tunnel. In addition, they have the Express bus that uses the widened I 84.
If anything, a passenger rail route from Bristol to Berlin and on to New Haven could be feasible if market studies indicate enough people travel on this route. This section would need major rebuild ($'s) to get to the proper class for passenger service but it is a more direct route than trying to incorporate Waterbury to Bristol. Test the market by operating additional bus service that runs Bristol to New Britain Fast Track and continues to the Berlin rail station to cover commuters from Bristol/Plainville who work in New Haven.

Another idea - Express bus routes on most Interstates where the park/ride lots are located in places where all that is needed is to build a quick on/off lane, such as we see at rest areas. You don't want to waste time getting off the interstate at a regular intersection and deal with traffic ilights.

The state should also have the Hartford to Waterbury express bus operate as a continuation of the Hartford to Storrs bus and minimize the city driving by using the eastern end of the Busway instead of traveling on Farmington Ave.
 #1539740  by njtmnrrbuff

I know that many of us want to see new rail routes happen in Central Connecticut but the questions are about money and feasibility. I myself would much rather ride a train than a bus. As for a rail route from Waterbury to Hartford, I must respectfully disagree that due to the number of curves that make the route indirect, it's best not to include rail as a possibility. I could maybe see either a busway running between Waterbury and Hartford feeding into the existing one in New Britain. It's been several years since I have traveled on I-84 in Connecticut so I can't give much input about the highway. From studying the CTtransit 924, 925, and 926 bus timetable, it looks like there isn't much of a savings in time if you take the 925 bus over the 928 route from Waterbury to Hartford. It looks like both the 925 and 928 take I-84 from around the Hamilton Ave Park N Ride Lot in Waterbury to the interchange with Rt 72 and then it looks like both routes take local roads until Downtown New Britain and then north of there, the buses enter the Ctfastrack Busway for the rest of the trip to Hartford. If the rail option between Waterbury and Hartford via Bristol and New Britain is off the table, then it would be good to have a dedicated bus rapid transit route running serving both Bristol and New Britain while running between Waterbury and Hartford.
 #1539997  by Pensyfan19

Backshophoss wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 9:15 pm A law that bans future busways, a total waste of space! Buses are not the answer
Agreed. Go with rail when traveling from suburbs to towns and cities, and streetcars for within city/town service.

There is also a law Indiana which outlaws streetcars within the entire state! That law should be removed.

And to stay on topic, any news on when CDOT will get the stimulus?