Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

#1508717  by RearOfSignal

I know there is a locked thread on this already, so mods do as you see fit.

I’ve recently got confirmation that the allegedly mysterious FDR baggage car has been removed from GCT yard and sent up to the Danbury Rail Museum. I’m surprised that thing was able to move at all. Now it can have a wonder retirement rusting away in Danbury.
 #1508916  by Backshophoss

Well there goes a "movie prop",last seen in the remake of Pelham 123. Has DRM posted a pic of this car and the M-2 pair on their website?
 #1508917  by DutchRailnut

car is still in highbridge .
 #1508920  by shadyjay

Backshophoss wrote:Has DRM posted a pic of this car and the M-2 pair on their website?
Ha! I don't think DRM has updated their web site in over 10 years (outside of updating the links to their newsletter). Heck, their roster still lists E-9 #4096 (faux-NYC) and that's been gone for at least a few years now.
 #1508978  by CarterB

Baggage car had nothing to do with FDR, was a conrail tool car parked at the Waldorf mail/baggage express track.
 #1509006  by Wayside

CarterB wrote:Baggage car had nothing to do with FDR, was a conrail tool car parked at the Waldorf mail/baggage express track.
Truth.
 #1509007  by Backshophoss

The Double Boom wreck crane and that tool car is a part of GCT history,the FDR stories will be a part of FDR's Presidential Library history.
 #1509078  by ExCon90

Maybe it's time to put "FDR Car" in quotes until the thread is retired.
 #1509184  by CarterB

ExCon90 wrote:Maybe it's time to put "FDR Car" in quotes until the thread is retired.
AGREED!!! Far too long has this "misnomer" been perpetrated by the press.
 #1509348  by Tadman

I’m pretty surprised they didn’t cut it up on place. It’s a rusty tool car that never did anything interesting. Given the four wheel trucks and prewar age, I don’t think it was ever intended for anything other than local service. Fair assesment?
 #1509479  by freightguy

The car actually released and applied when the locomotive sent air through the air brake system. It probably sat dormant for like 40 years(anybody confirm)? All they had to do was change a hose on the old baggage car. This means they didn’t have to bypass the air brake system and the brakes work as intended on the baggage car.
 #1509480  by DutchRailnut

since 1985 and yes it did get new brake valve right after 9/11 when car was to be moved to DRM too.
don't forget car got total overhaul in North White plains including the paint job before it was moved to GCT.