Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

#1491869  by kitn1mcc

were some of then stainless cars
 #1492024  by Tadman

I believe the PRR cars were flat stainless while the UP cars were carbon steel.
 #1493722  by TCurtin

The SEMTA cars arrived in January 1984. I was commuting out of Danbury at the time and remember this well. I rode them on their first day in service.
 #1493726  by DutchRailnut

they had to have bathrooms locked on part of Danbury branch due to watershed concerns.
 #1493776  by TCurtin

I remember that rule, Jaap. in fact it goes all the way back to New Haven RR days and appeared in the ETTs.

The one feature I did not like about the ex-UP coaches was the tendency of the coach windows to steam up in cold, dark weather which the ex-NH coaches they replaced did not do
 #1493778  by DutchRailnut

That I believe had to do with a past overhaul, were they were concerted from sleepers to coach, they use to have window blinds in between panes.
When blinds were removed they either sealed in moisture or the space between glass was not filled with a gas instead of air.
 #1493811  by ExCon90

DutchRailnut wrote:they had to have bathrooms locked on part of Danbury branch due to watershed concerns.
The PRR had similar Special Instructions in places on the Northern Region in western Pennsylvania, and they always ended with the sentence: "Exceptions may be made in cases of distress." Were there similar provisions on the former NH, or was it left up to the conductor?
 #1493845  by Backshophoss

There were also watershed bathroom lock up requirements on the Harlem and Hudson lines
 #1493853  by TomNelligan

ExCon90 wrote: Were there similar provisions on the former NH, or was it left up to the conductor?
Checking my copy of the 1956 edition of the New Haven rulebook, Rule 807 covering toilet-locking at designated locations includes the line "Proper judgement must be used in case of emergency."
 #1493916  by ExCon90

Thanks for checking; goes to show that a well-written rule allows for unusual circumstances.